14- Andra Matar

I just didn't want to die.

The very first time I was killed, in the S.H.I.E.L.D. lab, I could feel the flash of pain as my life ended. I felt myself fade and saw the world go black.

It was something I never wanted to experience again.

I ran, and I was determined to hide and stay hidden until I was off S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar, then possibly search for a cure. If I was lucky, I could do this. If.

When S.H.I.E.L.D. recruits you, they say you're risking your life, that not everyone lives through working in the field, and I promised I was willing to give my life for them.

Once. Once was more than enough.

Apparently, not for them.

Whenever I had heard about people trying to run from S.H.I.E.L.D., I used to laugh. S.H.I.E.L.D. could and would always find you.

The agency practically stalked you. I found it creepy, but got past it. S.H.I.E.L.D. held an enormous power over society that was often abused, as I had seen. All Nick Fury needed was a funky triangle, a beard, and a shirt that said "For the Greater Good."

There were good intentions behind the actions-- they just never thought of the real cost, like a selfish child who thinks they know everything.

"The end justifies the means."

Now Fury and Machiavelli can have matching t-shirts.

I won't have any trouble finding my boss a Christmas gift.

Again, this was not going to be easy.

I glanced out the window of the convience store. No cars branded with the S.H.I.E.L.D. emblem were rapidly approaching my location-- I was safe from capture, at least for the time being. I would be caught at one point-- I was sure of it-- but for as long as I could, I would stay away from work.

I thanked the exhausted teenage cashier and grabbed my bag of askew items. It was like when you forgot a few select items when going to the store, and when you went back, only the weirdest things remained-- though this was tough to beat.

In my bag, there was;

-Multiple bags of Doritos

-Hair ties

-Four baseball caps

-An electric razor

-Several cans of Red Bull

-Over five packs of gum

-Gummy worms

The hotel manager wasn't the only one who thought I was crazy that night, and the fact that it was past 3 AM didn't help either. However, it honestly couldn't wait. I was going to be known as a national fugitive by the next day.

I flipped my hood up, thanking Tony Stark once more for actually coming through.

Just roll with the crazy. I told myself.

I rounded the corner to see Tony's car. I sighed, and ran my fingers through my hair. It had been a long day.

A miniscule noise made me freeze. I waited; tense, for a few moments.

Don't be so paranoid, Andra. I chided. It's probably just a cat.

Yeah, a cat that works for S.H.I.E.L.D..

I opened the car door, and casually pulled out the small black handgun. To say I was anxious was an understatement.

I searched the corner for signs of movement, gripping the gun tightly; aware that there were probably cameras everywhere and that I couldn't actually be convicted until I committed a real crime-- such as shooting something or not having my gun license that came with my job.