Part 1

October had always been her favorite month of the year. Slipping into warm sweaters, jeans, and boots. Sipping on hot coffee while strolling down the leaf strewn streets, the first bite of cold nipping at your cheeks. Cozying up in the house with a warm blanket while diving into a good book. And, of course, October also had her favorite holiday, Halloween.

Since Elizabeth was a little girl, she had loved Halloween. You got to dress in a costume and pretend to be anything you wanted. You got to roam around the pumpkin patch, finding that perfect jack-o-lantern for carving. Hiding your face in a pillow, peeking one eye out as you watched scary movies. Trick-or-treating until your little feet couldn't take it anymore and then anxiously waiting for your parents to check your candy so you could dive in and devour your favorites.

She smiled as she soaked in the fall colors developing around her. Brilliant yellows, deep reds, and blazing oranges covered the trees along campus as she headed to her next class. It was her senior year, and she was so close to getting her degree and beginning her adult life that she could taste it.

Not that college life wasn't fun. She really did have it good. She had two of the best friends a girl could ask for and a boyfriend who adored her. She enjoyed her classes and heading out on the weekends to check out the bands that were visiting the local clubs or the various parties that inevitably happened every weekend.

"Elizabeth!" she heard someone call and turned to see her best friend, Robin, running across the quad toward her. "Hey! I called your name five times. Lost in your head much?"

She laughed, "Sorry. I got a little sidetracked. I was just appreciating all the fall colors."

Robin shook her head. "Girl, you and your daydreaming. So, Steve wants us to meet him at the coffee shop after class. You in?"

"Yeah, of course," she answered. "I'll be desperate for a caffeine boost after Professor Watkins."

"Ugh, tell me about it. He is so dull," Robin complained.

"I know," she agreed with a sigh. "It is like taking a class with a robot. He's so monotone. Like, dude, you could maybe try to make Shakespeare a tad more exciting."

"I don't think Rob Lowe could make Shakespeare exciting," snorted Robin. "I know it's considered to be the classics, but it's so dull. The classics can stay just that, classic. Give me something new and fresh with a storyline that is relevant to my life right now."

"Yeah, but you can't get a degree in literature and creative writing without Shakespeare," Elizabeth groaned. "You know, just because something is classic doesn't mean it's good. People call a lot of things classics and I think they're boring as hell. But who am I to say?"

"Come on," she said, grabbing her arm. "We're going to be late. Watkins may be in no rush when he's giving a lecture, but he's a stickler for tardiness."

Robin and Elizabeth became instant friends their freshman year when they were placed together as roommates. Elizabeth had been so nervous to see who she would be placed with. She was a chronic oversharer, a bit loud, and very chatty. She knew some people thought she was a bit too much. She'd been told just that more than once in her life and she didn't want to start off her college career never wanting to be in her dorm because her roommate couldn't stand her. She needn't have worried, though, because Robin was exactly the same. She came barreling in the room like a cyclone of friendliness and Elizabeth had known her life story within two hours of meeting. They had been inseparable ever since.

Taking their seats, they suffered through ninety minutes of

Professor Watkin's boring drivel. Elizabeth struggled to pay close enough attention to take notes. She had to focus because they were going to have a test next week on this material but he made it almost impossible. She found herself contemplating costumes for Halloween instead. When he finally wrapped it up, they both grabbed their things, eager to get out of there and head to the coffee shop.