Part 36

Elizabeth held Eddie's hand tightly in hers as they approached her mother's doorstep. She had agreed to do this, and she had called last night to let her know they were coming, but she still wasn't sure how she felt about it. Their conversation had been awkward and stilted over the phone and Elizabeth had tried to get off the phone as quickly as possible.

She hated fighting with her mom, who she usually called to talk about everything. But then she thought about how she poured her heart out to her mom about Eddie when they broke up, and her mom had sat there, telling her it would be okay. She would move on. She would find someone else. It was just a high school relationship and she had so many amazing things to look forward to. It made her blood boil. She had sat there, knowing why he had ended things, knowing she was shattered, knowing it was her fault and she could have fixed it if she wanted to. But she hadn't said a word, instead choosing to let her own child suffer.

She took a deep breath, reminding herself that she had promised Eddie she would try. And Dustin had been so excited that they were coming so she couldn't back out now. He would be so disappointed. Elizabeth closed her eyes, telling herself that she could do this. It was just one dinner.

The door banged open before they even reached it and Dustin came bounding out, giving them a hug. You would think he hadn't just seen them last night as excited as he was.

"Merry Christmas!" he yelled.

"Merry Christmas little man," Eddie smiled, ruffling his hair.

"Merry Christmas," Elizabeth smiled.

Elizabeth's mom appeared behind Dustin, and Elizabeth stared her down, gripping Eddie's hand, as if daring her to say anything wrong. She had no idea what to expect. She knew what her mom had told Eddie and Dustin, but she was putting up a wall to protect both of them, just in case. If her mom had anything negative to say, they would be out of there. She would not allow her to make Eddie feel less than the amazing guy that he was.

"Merry Christmas, both of you," her mom beamed. "Come on in, out of the cold!"

Her and Eddie stepped inside, hanging their coats on the hooks just inside the door. She could smell the honey glazed ham her mom was cooking and her stomach rumbled in anticipation. Christmas dinner was always delicious. She may not like her mom much at the moment, but she couldn't deny she loved her cooking.

Eddie kept her hand tightly clasped in his as they made their way to the living room, sitting together on the couch. Elizabeth felt like she could pull strength from Eddie as long as she kept physical contact with him. She swallowed down the lump in her throat, grateful he was next to her. Her mom took the recliner and Dustin sat on the loveseat. They sat in awkward silence for a few minutes, no one quite knowing how to break the ice.

"Thanks for inviting us, Mrs. Henderson," Eddie finally said. "Dinner smells amazing."

"Of course! I am so excited you two are here," her mom practically yelled awkwardly, a too wide grin plastered on her face. "And dinner should be ready in about forty five minutes. Would anyone like anything to drink? We have pop, water, beer, wine..."

"I'll take a beer, if you don't mind," Eddie answered.

"Wine," Elizabeth said shortly, thinking she was definitely going to need a drink or two if she was going to make it through this dinner.

Her mom got up and went into the kitchen to grab drinks. Dustin shot her a look and she shot him one right back. She was here, wasn't she? He was lucky she'd decided to do that. He couldn't expect everything to be all sunshine and rainbows immediately.

Her mom returned, handing out the drinks as she said, "So, how has your Christmas been so far?"

Eddie answered when he realized Elizabeth wasn't going to, "It's been nice. My Uncle Wayne and Dustin came over and spent Christmas Eve with us. We ate and played games and Elizabeth and I exchanged gifts."