9

**TWO YEARS LATER**

💚Harry Styles💚

Watching through the window of my house, my two sisters sit in our living room.

Sophie is reading a geography book—her chin nearly reaching the edge of the mahogany table. My mum is there with her, showing her a map, pointing at different spots. Her mouth opens and shuts as she pours information into her brain. She must be feeding her brain with politics. Ada is sitting across from them. Yawning, she looks at her watch.  

It's sad and also mind-blowing how time keeps moving, life just evolves, whether we are here to watch it or not.  

"You've returned," a grave voice states behind me.

Turning, I stare at my dad. He looks just as he did two years ago—for him time has been merciful, at least on the outside.

"Hello to you too," I greet him.

Taking two strides toward me, he stops a few feet away. "We need you more than ever, son.” He exhales, his wrinkled hands shoved deep into the pockets of his smart pants.

"I've missed you too." I chuckle. "I just returned for Woodstock and then I'm coming back to the Tomlinsons."

"I'm serious, Harry."

"And I'm serious too,” I voice, my eyebrow arched.

"Grillgrind wants to destroy our government. He and your mother-"

"That's old news. How long did it take you to discover that? How long until you kick them out?" I question. Why does he let them be when he could simply exile them? I never got why he didn't do that.

"I have my reasons. Reasons that are too secret and deadly to be spoken out loud," he declares almost in a whisper. 

"Whatever. It's your loss. It's your government that gets screwed. I'll be far when that happens," I say, walking toward the entrance of my house.

"I don't think you are aware of the consequences of that happening. And what could happen with your sisters if something happens to me." 

His words nail me to the spot where I'm standing, my blood running cold.

"But- Andrew…He could help you," I offer, turning back to him. 

"You and I both know that Andrew is not capable of keeping alive his own pets, much less managing The New World."

I sigh, running my hands through my hair. "Look. I'm sorry but I can't."

"The way your mother wants this world to become, she will end up ruining your sister's life. I thought we were on the same side regarding this. Women cannot rule this world again, Harry. You, more than anyone, know why."

Of course, I know my mum and her rebellious forces just want to destroy social order. She says she wants to help empower women, but I know better, she only wants to empower herself.

My eyes feather close, giving up. "What do you want from me exactly?"

"We need to make you look like the next heir,” he answers.

"I am the next heir. I don’t need to look like it, I am it," I state confidently.

Humphing, he steps closer, his shoulders squaring. "Son, you've been gone for two years. You have no other role in my government than playing music in Woodstock. You do not look like the next to rule after me."

"So, um-" I clear my throat. I can't believe I'm even considering this. "What would make me look like the heir?"

"For starters, you need to acquire a plot of land. A good, large, fruitful piece of land. Preferably, in the North. Then, you have to find yourself a girl to-"

"Dad," I interject, rolling my eyes to the sun above me.

"You need a girl next to you, Harry. Someone submissive and that makes you look good, someone that empowers you-"

"Yeah, like you and mum?" I scoff.

"Exactly the opposite," he returns.

"I'm not doing that. I can't. What about doing something in one of mum's hospitals?" I ask, hope lighting up in my heart. Maybe I can do a difference for my country by working at one of our hospitals.

“Son, you can do whatever you like. We own this place. But first, lands and a good woman.” He pats my shoulder.

“Lands for sure,” I chuckle.

“When will you take this seriously?” he barks, startling me. “I have received threats. My government could end today and your mother or even Grillgrind could take over. You know what that could mean? You know how bad life can get for your sisters? And for you?”

Gulping, I stare at his glistening green eyes. “I’m only staying for Woodstock. Then, I’m leaving. If something happens, I will take my sisters away to the Tomlinsons.”

He shakes his head, disappointed. “Just stay until the Sale. Maybe someone catches your attention. I’m not going to force you to choose, but we are in a very delicate situation.”

“Dad…please-”

“You just have to choose someone wealthy, from a good family. You know, one of the many girls from the North that come to your concerts. And I'm sure she can be beautiful as long as she is submissive," he comments. 

"I- dad, this is crazy, I wouldn't even know how to choose…" 

He smiles at me, happy that I'm giving in. 

"Shanon Williams is a good girl, for example. Gorgeous, wealthy family, good connections. She’s submissive, pretty, and rich. I’m sure you and her-”

“No. I’m sorry but no. I’m leaving. There's no way I'm doing that. Shanon is too much intensity for me,” I insist.

“Harry, I beg you. Stay for Woodstock and The Sale. After that you can go if you want to,” he states, his arm going around me as we walk toward the door. “I will not force you to choose someone. Just stay and see what happens. Maybe you find someone that catches your attention? And if not, you can leave…Who would say no to you, anyway?”

Ruffling the back of my head, I frown. "Umm…okay. Just until The Sale."

His arms go around me, enveloping me in a hug. "My son. You'll make the right choice. I know that." 

Grabbing my shoulders, he stares at me. "I want to give you something." 

"What's that?" I ask, intrigued. 

"My ring. The family's ring." He slides off the golden "S" ring from his index finger. "Here. Wear it proudly because we are the most powerful family in the world." 

The cold golden material is soft against the skin on my finger. It also feels quite heavy.

"If you decide to stay, this ring will be yours, and all the power it comes with. Make sure you protect it."

Staring down at my hand and the ring on it, I bite my lower lip. 

I have no idea what to do with my life. 

💚💚💚💚

Thank you so much for reading!

Please, vote and comment to help my story grow!

Love,

Ni