1

Mature Content: Explicit Language.

A/N: Ashy Hood readers, this is kind of a plot twist. Oops?

💛Ashley💛

Looking through the rectangle-shaped window of Mr. Bright's house, I stare at the spot where I saw Troy for the last time two years ago. Except he left in plain daylight, and now it's pitch dark outside.

And today, May, 21st, 2802, is the second year he misses my birthday. 

As much as I would want to ignore the fuzz in the living room, I'm pretty much aware that my brother, Troy's father, and my friends are going to shout 'happy birthday' the minute I open the door.

The men who rule my world are the definition of disgusting, but I got to say that the guys around me are pretty damn amazing.

I need to look happy for them. Everyone here has lost someone. So, if everyone keeps their shit together in spite of that,  I must set the example.

Taking a deep breath, I open the door.

"Happy Birthday!!" The lights go suddenly on, blinding me for a second too long.

Told you so.

"You knew all along, right?" Atlas, my brother, whispers as he hugs me.

Chuckling, I hug him extra hard. I'm not sure how am I going to manage to get to the end of the day without crying.

Xavi pats my back in passing. "Happy 19th birthday, Ash. Adulthood hit you like a truck, though," he jokes.

Not so gently, I smack the back of his head.

"That was a compliment, woman!" He rubs the spot I hit.

Atlas releases me, and Ketzia, my best friend, hugs me briefly. "Love you so much, Ashy. Happy birthday. And he is right," she says, pointing a finger at me. Then, she walks to the kitchen where I see a small cake on the table, with no decorations because no one can afford them. And I'm pretty sure it tastes like sweet bread that gets stuck at the core of your throat.

But that's okay. Who needs food when you have family, right? The most important thing is that we are alive, together—even when I crave for the ones that are missing.

Pressing my lips together, I urge the tears to back away. That's when my eyes land on Mr. Bright. His eyes are exactly like Troy's: ocean blue.

"You did grow up, Ashy," he states. "My Troy would be so proud of how you take care of all of us."

A lopsided smile prints on my face as I stretch my arms to reach out for him.

"We are all so proud of you," he murmurs, the scent of fire feels strong. He spends most of his days sitting by the fire since he can barely walk—he gets tired so easily.

"We all agree with that," Charlie says as he enters through the door. Mrs. Claire clinging to his arm as she slowly makes her way to us.

Smiling genuinely, I feel content with everything I have—even when he is missing.

💙💙💙

Locking myself in my room, I ended up taking a bath.

Sometimes, I crave loneliness. People can be demanding when the heir of your clan just left, and you somehow represent the family. You see...there's this tacit knowledge that Mr. Bright is too old, Troy's gone, and Charlie never owned or claimed the role of Protector of the Kiwi Lands. So, either that or for some magical reason, they rely on me a lot.