10

WARNING: RAPE. Brief scene and then the aftermath.

Do NOT read if this is triggering for you.

I promise Ashley's savior is in his way. And Grillgrind will receive what he deserves.

💛Ashley💛

I want it to end. I need it to end.

Please, stop. Please. Please, stop.

My thoughts are screeching loud in my mind, but my mouth is shut. His hand is clasped over my lips, forcing me to swallow my cries of pain.

My hands clutch firmly at the edge of the table, trying not to collapse.

Please, let it be done.

I don't think I'll survive today.

His free hand strangles my neck, squeezing my throat to the point that no air can go through. Wiring my eyes shut, tears rush over my cheeks.

I can't do this anymore.

Please, go away.

The view before me clouds, objects turning into blurred shapeless figures.

I can't do this anymore.

Maybe I'm giving up. I hope I'm dying. Dying would be a blessing to me now. I would rather die than let him touch my body again.

His violent grip around my throat lightens, and a burst of coughing rushes out of my lips.

My hands desperately massage my skin, which is surely bruised, and my chest heaves up and down dramatically, my lungs struggling to work again. Relief washes over my complete body as I stop feeling him.

Grillgrind steps away from me, zipping up his pants. "Next week, at the same time," he commands, shutting the door loudly behind him.

My heart should be breaking—if only I had one.

Pieces of my heart got lost in these four years. One got lost the last day I saw my parents, and every passing day that they wouldn't come back. Another piece broke the day Troy left, and every passing day that he wouldn't come back.

The rest of it went away with every meeting I have had with Grillgrind in the past two years.

I don't think I will ever enjoy sex again—not even if Troy comes back.

I'm done.

I cannot possibly do this again.

I need it to stop.

Panting and sobbing at once, I gather my clothes.

But what could happen to my brother if I stop? And to our community in Cherry Lands? Since I started meeting him, he stopped pressuring us when we wouldn't gather enough fruits, or when we couldn't afford the taxes.

It's a simple equation: sex equals his favors.

So if I stop meeting him, he would stop helping us.

A painful sob bursts out of my lips. I just can't do this anymore.

Running back home, the wind hits my wet face, but not even a cyclone would dry the number of tears streaming down my cheeks.

He usually would meet me in the ruins of some of the forgotten buildings of Cherry Lands. So I'm not far from home, that's the only comfort I find.

People look weirdly at me as I pass by them: half-dressed, hurt, running against the wind, and crying my heart out on my way.

Bursting open Ketzia's door, I come to a sudden stop. It's too dark inside her house, or maybe it's too bright outside.