Kane's Backstory

Alright, so my friend, the same one who suggested I watch Tokyo Ghoul, and gave me the idea to write this fanfic (Thank you James), told me I should give Kane a theme song, a more tragic backstory, and a mask.  So without further ado, I'll introduce most of that in this chapter.  But first, here's his theme (It'll make more sense when I give the backstory) - 

I pointed Tanjiro and Kanae in the direction of the end point, before excusing myself.  The three of us have been working together for most of the Final Selection, so I've been avoiding... eating.

Tanjiro: Where are you going?  There's only an hour till the sun comes up.

Kane: I've uh... gotta do something.  Don't worry, I'll be back.

Kanae: Oh... you're hungry, right?

Kane: What?  No, I...

I sighed in defeat, hanging my arms.

Kanae: Your stomach has been grumbling at night, and I remember what you said that night.  That you've only ever eaten demons.

Tanjiro: It's fine, do what you have to do.

Kane: I... th-thanks, guys.

I ran off into the trees, looking for a low level demon.  I didn't need much, just something that I could kill quickly.  And sure enough, an opportunity presented itself.  As I was running, something stabbed through my chest.

Demon: Kehehe... another one?  That's the third one today, I knew it was smart hiding at the end!

I fell to the ground, trying to cover the hole in my body.  I looked at the hand sticking from my chest, and whipped my scythe around, chopping it off.  The demon hissed in pain as he pulled his hand back, jumping away, but began to laugh again.  I turned around, facing the demon. 

Demon: That hurt, ya know.  I'm going to enjoy eating you!

Kane: You know, I could say the same about you.

I stood up as the inside of my chest began bubbling, and the hole sealed.  The demon took a few steps back as I grinned, my eyes turning black and red.  My Rinkaku shot forward, tearing off his legs.  He screamed in pain, trying to crawl away.

Demon: Gotta get to the woods... if I can just get to the woods, I can...

He suddenly seemed to notice how far away the trees were.

Demon: Awww, FUCK...

Kane: Come on!  You were talking all that good shit a second ago, then I ripped your FUCKING LEGS OFF!

Demon: I... you... WHAT THE FUCK?

I walked towards him, a sadistic smile on my face.

Kane: What's wrong demon?  Just grow back your legs!  Summon up your demons!  Hit me!  FIGHT ME!  Give me a hug!

Demon: R-really?

I grinned wider, lunging at him.

Demon: OHGODNO-

Unbeknownst to me, there was someone listening to the whole thing.  She smirked as she turned away, listening to me in the background.

Kane: Hey, we're here on "Epic Meal Time"!  I'm the Sauce Boss, and tonight, we're eating this blonde little wannabe demon BITCH!

The girl grinned, walking away.

???: You haven't changed a bit... Have you, Kane?

FLASHBACK

Kane sat against a tree, crying.  In front of him was the mangled corpse of a demon, as he stared at it.  He wasn't crying because he was scared of the demon he'd just killed, no... he was crying because he was hungry.

???: You... are a Ghoul?

Kane: Huh?

A girl dropped out of the trees.  She had light brown hair, and her eyes were pitch black with red pupils... just like mine.

Kane: You're... you're like my sister and I?

TIMESKIP

After meeting the girl, she introduced herself as Hinami.  She and Kane quickly became best friends, becoming inseparable.  She taught him that Ghouls couldn't eat normal human foods, except for coffee.  They could only really survive by eating humans and demons.  Hinami told him that she had never eaten a human, only demons, and that's where Kane was inspired to do the same.  The reason Ghouls were so rare now is because they had been driven to near extinction, not only by humans, but by demons as well.  Now, though, most people and Demons had forgotten that Ghouls had ever existed.  But one day... everything changed.

Hinami: K-Kane... RUN!

Kane ran away from the clearing, where a massive demon covered in hands grabbed Hinami's neck, ripping her head off and tossing the body away... landing next to Sabito and Makomo's also lifeless corpses.  Kane ran, not looking back, cursing himself for being weak... before blacking out.  He woke up a week later, laying in a cave in a massive pool of blood.  Memories flashed back to him, he'd gone into a rage, annihilating and consuming hundreds of demons, before falling into an exhausted coma in the cave here.

BACK TO PRESENT

I walked through the gates, my eyes watering as I wiped the tears away.

Kane: Sabito... Makomo... Hinami... I made it.

That's Kane's backstory, and as for the reason he retook the Final Selection, it's because he wanted to complete the test with his own power, rather than in an unconscious frenzy.  It's a bit of a shorter chapter, but I'll be posting again tomorrow, or possibly even tonight.  PEACE!