8

Hermione Granger

"Do you ever stop eating?"

Ron paused, a sausage halfway up his mouth (Hah) and gazed at me. "Wha'? I'm hung'y." He shrugged. I rolled my eyes and Ginny scoffed. "Can I join you?" A voice awkwardly asked. I looked to my right to see Harry standing there. He must feel guilty about last night. I glanced at Ron and Ginny who both didn't seem to care and then back at Harry who took that as an answer. He swallowed. "Hermione, I'm sorry about what happened," Harry muttered. He adjusted his glasses. "Are you okay?" I smiled faintly and nodded.

"Pardon me, Professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" We heard a high pitched voice echo from outside the great hall. Almost everyone eating breakfast turned their head. Harry already started making his way to where Umbridge's voice came from, and the three of us quickly followed. "I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices." Professor McGonagall replied. The two of them were standing halfway up the stairs leading to the Great Hall. McGonagall was almost a head taller than Umbridge, so she had to look down on her.

Umbridge tilted her head, "So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom," She took one step up. "Minerva." McGonagall slightly clenched her fist in anger. "Not at all, Dolores," she followed Umbridge's example. "merely your medieval methods." "I am sorry, dear. But to question my practices is to question the Ministry, and by extension, the minister himself," Umbridge whispered the last word, as if to make sure he wouldn't hear her. "I am a tolerant woman, but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty." McGonagall took a step down. "Disloyalty." She repeated. Umbridge took another step up and then turned to the crowd of students that had now formed beneath her. "Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action." She announced, ending her sentence with one of her high pitched chuckled. I glanced at Harry and Ron and found that they did the same. Things are about to change for the worse.

~~~~

"Proclamation. Educational degree number 23. Dolores Jane Umbridge has been appointed to the post of Hogwarts High Inquisitor." I read aloud. I turned to Harry and Ron. Ron furrowed his eyebrows. "What in the bloody hell does that even mean?" He asked, arms folded and expression annoyed. Harry shrugged. I looked back at the sign. Filtch was struggling climbing down the ladder while holding the hammer he had used. "They've created a made-up position to give the Ministry power within Hogwarts," I explained, frowning at the idea. "I expect her to make new rules, change our curriculum, maybe even examine the teachers?" The ministry interfering here wasn't a good idea. Especially not right now. "Like how she made defense against the dark arts boring?" Ron asked. I nodded. Harry sighed. "Come on, we've got charms first period." He muttered.

19:46

Unknown number: would you be mad if I was?
Read: 19:54

You: were you there last night?

Unknown number: no
Unknown number: I didn't know what they were doing, I promise

You: why won't you just tell me who you are?
Read: 19:56

Unknown number: I don't want to make things awkward

You: you are making things awkward. I don't like not knowing who you are and not being sure of your intentions

Unknown number: I'm sorry.
Unknown number: I can't tell you who I am
Unknown number: I'd be putting myself and you in danger

You: why?

Unknown number: I can't tell you that either.
Unknown number: can't we just talk? About nothing?
Read: 20:01

20:03

You: were you lying?

Unknown number: about what?

You: your intentions

Unknown number: no
Unknown number: I'm very much in love with you
Unknown number: I'm more certain now than ever
Read: 20:06

20:08

Unknown number: what do you think of Umbridge?

You: I'm not sure I'm comfortable talking to you anymore.

Unknown number: please don't block me

You: why shouldn't I?

Unknown number: because I would literally die
Unknown number: I've never felt this way about anyone before

You: and why should I care?

Unknown number: idk? Because you're a good person?

You: just tell me who you are

Unknown number: I CANT

You: why not?!

Unknown number: Because I'm a girl.
Read: 20:11

20:13

Unknown number: I'm so sorry
Unknown number: I'm not out yet, and I'm definitely not ready to be
Unknown number: I've always been intrigued by you
Unknown number: but I only realized it was love until last year when I saw you with Krum
Unknown number: and I couldn't talk to you irl because of obvious reasons
Unknown number: please respond
Unknown number: can you just forget about it?
Unknown number: I'm sorry, Hermione.

You changed "unknown number" to "Echidna"

Echidna: Echidna?

You: from Greek Mythology?

Echidna: ???

You: she's like a half-woman half-snake goddess

Echidna: does that mean you're not mad?

You: I'm not
You: I don't swing that way, though

Echidna: I know. I just really wanted to talk to you.

You: I've liked talking to you so far
You: as long as you're not creepy and won't try to force me into a relationship with you, I'd like to stay friends

Echidna: really??

You: yeah

Echidna: thank you
Echidna: you can't imagine how happy you just made me

You: I hope you'll trust me with your identity soon
You: gtg do some homework now
You: bye

Echidna: bye :)