The Path for Her

Predawn, the dark hour suspended between night and morning. There was barely a crack of light, and in this convenient darkness, I made haste and found Usko by a lake with dark forests and mountains for horizons. I went right up to Usko hurriedly.

"Chaser." Usko's red gaze hardened. "Why have you come to me? I am doing no evil right n—"

"Usko," I blurted in a rush, "I need us to power each other up."

Usko turned away to stare at the still lake with nary a ripple in its still, reflective surface. "You took a risk. If someone sees us together like this—"

"I don't have time to be lectured and criticized," I protested.

"Fools never have time to be corrected."

"Usko!" I glared at him. "Just a quick power up! Please?"

"We went through the ritual of bonding to each other only a few days ago. Why so soon?"

"I...dunno. I think sometimes when I'm home I feel weaker as if my superhero abilities are leaving me. Kind of weird. Anyway," I went on rapidly as Usko's expression shifted to suspicion, "let's do it and be done with it."

Usko scoffed but held out his hand. I took it, his familiar hand in mine, feeling the sheer energy running underneath his skin. We interlocked our fingers, palms touching, and stood there as his power flowed into mine, lending me extra strength and magic. It was over with quickly and I felt better, stronger, faster. By that time, a light from the dawn was fanning the world with its rays and breezes.

I brightened and took my hand away, shaking it. "Thanks, man. You're a lifesaver."

"Speak for yourself."

"Heh, you're right. Bye, Usko!" I waved and ran off, back to Western City, leaving my enemy standing by the lakeside with his pensive gaze. I was still tired from getting up early, though energized by my conscience. The sun was rising, its rays very bright. The clouds were golden-white, and the blue of the sky was lined with cream. I was on my way to visit Latrice. I wanted to show her that I would keep my promise, that I would get up early in the morning. And I knew exactly where to take her.

The city was more subdued, with a few cars going from place to place, but the buildings looked darker and more ominous in the darkness, as the sun hadn't quite reached the ground yet. I rushed on, heading for the brick red apartment complex where Latrice lived. Thankfully, there weren't many people around as I hurried to Latrice's place.

I slowed at Latrice's home and waited patiently for her to come out of her apartment room. As I waited, I crouched beside a dying, straggly bush. I touched it with the tip of my index finger, letting energy flow from my blood to the bush. In this single touch of magic, the bush grew before my very eyes, greening and blossoming, growing thick and lush, even sporting a few red, orange, and yellow flowers—the color of autumn.

Someone was watching me. I looked up, seeing Latrice standing there, her hand against the apartment's wall. I straightened. "Good morning, Latrice."