Of Virtues and Vices

Clouds, thick and gray, hung over the light rain. It was more of a mist, but a heavier downpour would occur soon. It was only early afternoon, yet it was already dark and shaded out. There was a coldness that came only from a sunless day. There was no thunder, no lightning, just a drizzle that would thicken as the afternoon moved forward.

I visited Latrice at a library. It was cozy inside, the warm, olden, musty scent of books and shelves and pages wafting through the area. Quiet people sat or walked around, checking out books, flipping through pages, sometimes alone, sometimes with their little children, sometimes in small groups. There were subdued sounds of crinkling paper, turning pages, the opening and closing of books as the spine creaked, a librarian shelving books, kids playing quietly, and the gentle hiss of swishing rain outside the gray, beaded windows. The colors of the library were dull yet homely tones of maroon, beige, and wooden brown. I found Latrice sitting at one of the tables, reading a book. When I sat across from her, she smiled, brushed her hair away from her shoulder, and put a checkmark in her book.

"Hi, Chaser. I wasn't sure if you'd visit me since it's rainy out," she said.

"I would always make time for you," I answered. "How did you like your visit?"

Latrice grinned. "Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would! That Ossei is so nice. I have a feeling Elijah and I are going to be close friends with him. I didn't think I could get along with a person so easily!"

I nodded understandingly. "Ossei is very welcoming and kind towards people he does not know. Kindness is the best way to turn strangers into friends. I had thought he would be a good person for you and Elijah to get to know."

"Yep. I'm looking forward to visiting more often and getting to know him better. But I didn't think your brother liked us very much," Latrice went on.

I suddenly felt defensive on Reese's behalf for no reason. "He's not used to people."

Latrice gave a sniff. "Yeah, but he acted like he hated us. I saw the looks he was giving, how stiffly he held himself. I'm used to dealing with shit like that and I'm sick of it. He better not give me attitude, or I'll beat his last meal out of him."

I opened my mouth to defend Reese, but no words formed on my tongue. One side of me wanted to protect him from this badmouthing, while one side of me wanted to steer Latrice back into a fruitful conversation to help her growth as a person.

Latrice seemed to sense I was a little agitated and leaned forward. "Did you have something to say—I mean do, pervert?"

"Huh?" I flushed red. "Wh-why on earth would you call me that...? I haven't done anything improper! I'm not a pervert!"

Latrice's catty expression returned to normal as she leaned back again. "Just wanted to see your face."

Isn't that something Usko would do? Hound me and harp on me until I get thrown off balance? Suspicion pulled at me.

"Are you still seeing Usko?" I wanted to know.

Latrice flashed me a smile through half-closed eyes. "Maybe. Maybe not."

I frowned. "Do not listen to Usko. His evil is the opposite of my good. Evil softens truth with shadows which makes you fall so hard you may not be able to get back up. Good hardens the truth with light which may hurt initially, but then, if you follow through, you will rise above it."