~3~

~Charlie POV~

I was laying on the couch, listening to Anne-Murray and mouthing the lyrics while I waited for Berger to arrive.

The doorbell rang and I got up to answer it.

I pulled a dumb face, meaning my eyes were mostly closed and opened the door.
"Hey, Bergeerrr." I said in a high-pitched fake feminine voice.

I opened my eyes, to see not only Berger but Lizzy and Y/N too. My eyes widened.

"Hi!" said Lizzy waving energetically.

I stared at them, still wide-eyed as I closed the door in their faces.

"Oh crap!"
I whisper-yelled.

I'm sitting here listening to Anne-Murray,
Alone. Acting like a total idiot.
And Y/N has just shown up on my doorstep, to see me acting like a total idiot.

I took a deep breath and reopened the door.
'What the hell?'
Berger mouthed.

I ignored him and leaned on the open door, trying to act nonchalant.

"What are you doing here?"
I asked.

"Just thought I should come and say hi. We haven't spoken properly yet-"
Y/N tried to reply but was cut off by Lizzy.
"Berger said your dad abandoned you, and you're listening to Anne-Murray alone."

Y/N elbowed her harshly and gave her a look.

I made a face that was supposed to disagree with the statement but failed miserably.

"All right, let's get this rager started."
Said Berger.

They all began filing in, and I quickly changed the music.

"Much better."
Said Lizzy.

I smiled at each of them as they came in, but as soon as they were out of sight I slammed the door.

Berger's got some explaining to do.

I pulled him aside and said
"Dude! What the hell!"

"Uh, chicks love sob stories."
He replied with a shrug.

I would say that horrific baseball game was enough of a sob story. I don't want Y/N to pity me.

"Why did you bring 'em here at all??"
I said in indignation.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you wanted to have a one-on-one rager."
Berger said, sarcastically.

"Y/N does not like me! She left the country because of me!"

"If that were true, she wouldn't be here right now. And didn't she smile at you earlier? And come to watch your baseball game?"

"She smiled at me because she's polite and nice, and perfect. And she came to the baseball game because she likes baseball!"

"Ok, dude, take a deep breath in, and now breathe into your hands and tell me how your breath smells."