~8~

After Berger's ultimate betrayal, Y/N walked off in a random direction, leaving me to follow.

Eventually I found her, sitting on one of the couches in the 'relaxi corner' (as Berger had dubbed it.) tuning an electric guitar.

I gently knocked on one of the sideboards to grasp her attention and alert her to my presence.

She looked up, smiled in acknowledgment, then continued messing with the guitar.

I need a way to make her realise that I want to talk. And look cool whilst doing it preferably.

I decided to attempt the volting over the back of the couch thing that she did yesterday.
I couldn't really go wrong with that.

Turns out I was very very wrong.

I sort of flopped over the back of the couch and rolled flat onto my face.

Great. I look like a fucking beached seal.

Y/N gave me a concerned look, so I quickly adjusted myself so I was in more of a sitting position.

We just sort of sat awkwardly for a minute before we both spoke

"I can't believe-"
"So I was thinking-"

We both stopped abruptly and I said
"Sorry, you go first."

Y/N sighed and said
"I was just gonna say it- it's weird, innit? knowing your dad has, like, a sci-fi man cave."

"Yeah it is weird, thanks for- kind of asking."
I replied.
What the hell? 'Thanks for kind of asking'?
What is wrong with me?
After my weird statement, I continued.
"It's like we don't even know each other.
I thought he worked at a Genius Bar.
And- he thought I was a righty."

Y/N smiled in a bittersweet way before saying
"Well, I didn't forget."
She put the guitar down, leaning behind the couch to grab something.

When she turned back around, she had two neatly wrapped blue and white striped boxes, the school's baseball team logo beautifully drawn on the front of both.

She put them on the table that was sat between us and slid them across to me.

"Happy Birthday, Charlie."

I looked at the presents, astounded.

Y/N laughed.
"You do know there's something Inside the boxes-right?"

I snapped out of my daze and carefully took the first present off the top.

I took a moment to admire the blue eagles logo on the front before tearing into the wrapping paper.

The box wasn't taped shut, so I slowly opened it.

I froze.
Sitting there, surrounded by multiple shades of blue tissue paper, was a blue and white baseball mitt. A left handed blue and white baseball mitt.

She remembered.

I looked up at Y/N, and she smiled at the evident look of shock on my face.

"On the way back here, I had to go stay in New York for a few days, and whilst I was there, we happened to pass through Copperstown. And what did I see in a shop window? That Mitt. I knew I would be back here in time for your birthday I couldn't resist getting it- I mean it has your name written all over it. "

I was speechless.
Y/N had just bought me a correctly handed mitt, (something Not even my father is capable of) in my favourite colors, from the place where baseball was INVENTED.
She had even gotten special color coded wrapping paper and tissue paper just for me.