Chapter 4 ~ Library Liaisons and Test Ties

Y/n sat in the Hufflepuff common room, still working hard on her Transfigurations homework due later that day. She groaned, shutting her notebook. Aura had a meeting with a Professor, Jack was in class and there was no one to help her.

"Good Morning" a soft voice called from behind. Y/n smiled turning around to find Cedric Diggory.

He came and sat down on the armrest of the sofa, next to Y/n. They had grown up together spending their summers together. Y/n, though technically wasn't a muggle-born, had a complicated background. One could call her a half-blood. Her maternal grandmother was a witch, and the magic gene ran in their family. However, her mother was a witch but her magical ability was affected and had gone dormant when Y/n was very young. Y/n had very faint memories of her mother ever performing magic. Her father on the other hand was a half-blood wizard who encouraged Y/n to attend Hogwarts.

As a child, Y/n would often get emotional, causing things to happen, such as lighting the living room sofa on fire and breaking glass. Despite this, she still received her first wand, books, pets, and all her essentials at Diagon Alley.

Y/n's Grandma was really good friends with the Diggory family, having grown up with Cedric's grandparents. She would always insist on spending time together. Y/n's grandmother did it more for Y/n to have a connection to the Wizarding World.

Y/n loved Cedric in a brotherly way and nothing more, "What's up?"

Y/n shrugged, "Nothing, just trying to catch up on Transfigurations." She looked outside the circular windows in the common room and turned back to him.

Cedric leaned over her shoulder, "Go get outside, live a little, and have fun."

She chuckled, "You took third-year transfigurations correct?"

He nodded, "Correct. Do you need help? Well, let's see, what do we have here?" he took my notebook from Y/n, reading it and making a face, "Erm, well, you know like half of these are common sense."

Y/n raised her eyebrows, nodding sarcastically, "Oh yeah, for sure, so what's the answer to the first one?"

Cedric ran a hand through his hair, one leg bent on the other "Well you know, all that transfiguration terminology. You know that one incantation." he said with the utmost confidence.

"Right, that one incantation, I'll be sure to write it down, thanks" Y/n then closed the book and figured she would catch Hermione before class. "I can tell you just excelled at Transfiguration,"

Cedric furrowed his eyebrows, pointing matter-of-factly at Y/n as she packed up. "Sure you do, my eight out of twelve O.W.L.S suggested otherwise."

~

Y/n entered the library, and the librarian greeted her. Mrs Pince. She was a thin, irritable woman who looked like an underfed vulture.

While browsing the library, Y/n came across Jack who was a regular in the library and was known to be intelligent and academically motivated.

"Jack!" Y/n exclaimed as they jogged towards him. Jack turned around and a smile spread across his face as he greeted Y/n with a warm embrace. "I haven't seen you at all."

Jack tilted his head and explained, "That might be my fault. You know, I've had a very busy first week, trying to decide on my electives and all." Jack was known to write very few letters over the break, in comparison to Y/n and Aura. He seemed to be distracted and hesitantly continued twirling his pot of ink, "Things have just been a little–"

Y/n nodded, putting her hand on his arm in understanding. She got it completely and needed no further explanation from him. Whenever he wanted to talk, she would be there. Jack looked up nervously and said, "Just let me finish this paragraph, and then you'll have my undivided attention."

The two of them strolled toward their Transfigurations class, "What's new? I'm sorry, I feel like I've been talking too much."

Jack shook his head, "Nonsense, I like listening to you talk. Also, absolutely nothing. Nothing new at all. Nothing."

Y/n chuckled, "Okay, okay, don't panic. I believe you."

Aura was reeking of boredom, absent-mindedly flipping the pages of her textbook.

They were getting their progress tests back as McGonagall liked to call them. At the beginning of every year, she likes to test what students removed from the previous year and plan her lessons accordingly. McGonagall began to hand the pieces of paper out, placing them upside down on students' desks.

McGonagall put the paper on her desk, and Y/n lifted the paper, peeping. She was relieved when she saw the number ninety-six circled in red. Jack, who sat behind the girls whispered congratulations.

As McGonagall was taking individual questions from students, Y/n turned around to compare answers with Jack to edit her answers in the margins.

Mid-discussion, Malfoy turned around resting his arm at the edge of Y/n's desk. She confidently asked him what he got. He replied with a hint of pride "Ninety-Six. Not too bad, if I do say so myself,"

Y/n raised an eyebrow. "Really? That's exactly what I got," she said, trying to hide her disappointment.

"What? We got the same score?" Malfoy asked, clearly taken aback. Y/n raised her paper showing it to him. Malfoy's arm was still in a sling and had been for over a week. He was just playing up this injury. "Well, this is unexpected," Malfoy said. He clearly wasn't happy about this either.

"I guess we're just evenly matched," Y/n teased.

Malfoy rolled his eyes. "Don't get too ahead of yourself. We'll see who does better next time," He thought, "I bet five galleons that I do better than you on the next Transfiguration test."

Hermione was at the top of every class, so naturally, Malfoy and Y/n fought for second place.

After receiving their tests, McGonagall collected their homework and assigned some questions that led to the end of the lesson. There was minimal chatter, some hushed whispering. Jack tapped Y/n's shoulder showing her a piece of parchment. It was a drawing, it looked rather funny. "That picture is a riot!" she whispered.

Jack dropped his shoulders, "I drew it."

Y/n straightened up, pointing at the picture "Oh, that's a great detail! I like the shading. Good colouring. Excellent penmanship." she said shamefacedly.

Jack chuckled, "Oh, Y/n,"

Aura turned around grinning, taking a moment to study it. "I think I'm going to frame that."

After the class was over, Y/n packed up her things and glanced over at Harry shoving papers into his bag. Ron signalled to Y/n with a nod of his head, indicating that she should come over. "We've got a lesson with Lupin tomorrow. He seems like a nice guy,"

As they walked, Y/n looked back and replied, "Yes, he does seem nice, Ronald. Erm, do you mind? I need to have a word with Harry."

Y/n hung back waiting outside the classroom. Harry looked visibly annoyed and nothing as he walked with Y/n. "So, I was talking to Malfoy during potions and he told his father about the incident with Buckbeak."

Harry was discontent, "Malfoy's always stirring up trouble. He's putting everyone in danger."

Y/n shook her head, sensing he was about to confront Malfoy, "Don't you'll only make it worse, Harry. There has to be another way."