Chapter 7 ~ Sleepingbags & Friends

In one of her study periods, Y/n sat by herself, near Cedric and his friends. Jack had a little study group with the Ravenclaws and Aura utilized this time with Professor Sprout to improve her Herbology. Luckily, Snape was covering this study period, so naturally, there was pin-drop silence. The silence was almost deafening, and by the looks of it, everyone was bored stiff.

All the year groups were mixed up in some study periods, making it easier for the Professors to supervise. Y/n was looking over her Ancient Runes notes, and well when it came to drawing them, she was not the best.

Cedric scribbled something down on a piece of parchment, passing it to Y/n, careful of Snape.

I got a letter this morning from your mother regarding multiple broken mirrors in her attic, which she thinks I broke...is this your doing?

During the summer while Cedric was staying over, Y/n broke a few mirrors in the attic after a spell went wrong and blamed it on him. She explained the situation in a low whisper.

Cedric looked mildly annoyed, "I knew it was you." Y/n smiled a little "I hate you" he mouthed, shaking his head, a tender smile on his lips.

Her gaze fell upon another piece of parchment that read: This is torture, isn't it? Snape's sharp gaze caught them, and he stalked over, his black robes billowing behind him. "Mr Diggory, is there something you'd like to share with the rest of the class?" he sneered.

Cedric straightened in his seat, not flinching under Snape's piercing stare. "No, Professor," he replied calmly.

Y/n turned back to her books, underlining things as she read. A while later, someone sat beside her, and upon turning, she was met with the unpleasant surprise of Mclaggen. She shifted to the other side, feeling uneasy and adjusted her tie. Cedric had caught sight of Mclaggen and in a low whisper, Cormaic said, "Hey, Y/l/n."

Cedric returned his attention to his Defence Against the Dark Arts book, appearing to be engrossed in its contents, but Y/n could tell he was listening in. Mclaggen pointed to her Ancient Runes textbook and said, with a smirk, leaning too close to her, "Isn't this year's material just so difficult? I can't seem to grasp it. Maybe you can help me?"

Y/n replied with a scoff, "You'd have to be incredibly dense and vacuous to think that, but I suppose even the word 'dense' might be too complex for your vocabulary."

Cedric chimed in, "Why don't you go, bother someone else you arse. I don't want to see you talking to her again." Mclaggen scoffed and hurried off after being called out.

Y/n shivered relieved to be rid of  Mclaggen's presence. She mouthed a "Thank you" and Cedric whispered, "Anything for you."

Snape thumped a book at the back of Cedric's head. Swished his wand, opening a few of Y/n's closed books, making her jump. "Miss Y/l/n, if you insist on wasting time I suppose you can utilise this time for better things. Perhaps potions?" Snape shrugged, gesturing in the air.

~

The next morning, the sun streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow over the common room. In the room, a collection of newly potted plants added vibrant greens to the atmosphere. Cedric descended the stairs, his arms cradling a wooden crate overflowing with clothing.

Y/n approached him as he set the crate down on the sofa, and Y/n began to rummage through its contents. "I'm donating some of my old clothes to charity," he explained. "Take anything you want."

Y/n spotted the sweaters, their rich autumnal tones a testament to the changing seasons. Y/n gasped as Y/n pulled out a sweater that she had in her sight for ages. "Thank you, Cedric," she said, holding the sweater up to admire its beauty.