Chapter 6 ~ Boggarts and Revelations

Ron and Y/n stood outside the classroom, eagerly waiting for their lesson with Professor Lupin. The sun was shining brightly, casting warm rays down on the bustling Hogwarts grounds. "Ronald!" Y/n jumped, messing up his hair.

Ron smiled, leaning against the wall, "You know, Y/n, I heard rumours going around about Lupin. That he's not human...I'm just messing with you, Y/n. But really, I hear he's a great teacher."

Y/n nodded, "I heard he's one of the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers we've had in a long time."

The whole class was standing in front of an old wardrobe with dusty mirrors. Y/n stood beside Ron and Harry, staring at their reflections as the wardrobe jostled left and right. Lupin paced around the classroom. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?"

Dean shouted out the answer, "That's a Boggart, that is" Y/n hadn't known much about them. Lupin questioned, hands in pockets, "Now, can anybody tell me what a Boggart looks like?" and Y/n jumped at the sound of Hermione's voice.

She replied firmly, "No one knows."

Ron and Y/n shared the same confusion again, "When did she get here?" Y/n whispered under her breath,

"Bloody hell, Hermione," Ron murmured.

Hermione ignored Ron's reaction and continued explaining, " Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a person fears the most. That's what makes them so—" Were they about to have their fears exposed to the entire class? Y/n felt nervous anticipation pooling in her stomach. Her nerves reached the tips of her fingers.

Lupin picked up "So terrifying, yes, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands, please," he cleared his throat, "After me, Riddikulus!" and everyone repeated. "A little louder and very clear. Listen Riddikulus!" and this time Y/n repeated aloud.

Malfoy muttered, "This class is ridiculous." Y/n couldn't help but smile at his comment.

Lupin's eyes were sharp, searching the crowd, "Neville, will you join me, please? Come on, don't be shy." Neville stepped forward scared, "Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?"

Neville shyly muttered, "Professor Snape."

A collective of chuckles went around the class. There was a hint of recognition in Lupin's eyes as he laughed, "Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother."

"I don't want that Boggart to turn into her either!" Neville exclaimed. He really was a great guy once you got to know him. He deserved more credit than got.

"No. It won't. I want you to picture her clothes, very clearly, in your mind. As long as you'll see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open the wardrobe, here's what I want you to do" Lupin whispers something in his ear as everyone waits excitedly...Lupin counted and with the wave of a wand, the wardrobe unlocked and opened. Snape came out of it.

Y/n's eyes widened. She couldn't tell the difference. He looked so real, that even she took a step backwards. "Riddikulus!" Before she knew it Snape was wearing Neville's grandmother's clothes, which looked hilarious. Something Y/n thought she'd never come across. Everyone cheered, excited to go next as they formed a line.

Lupin moved to play an instrumental song on a record player, "I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most and turn it into something funny."

Ron stepped forward, and with a sigh, the Boggart transformed into a huge spider. Y/n shuddered, having a huge fear of them too. Ron nervously looked up, stepping back. The spider fell back as rollerblades appeared on its legs.