Chapter II: Mouths that need feedin'

You were sipping your cup of coffee when Tilly approached you. "Hi, Y/N", she said. "Oh, hey Tilly."  "I know this may sound really weird but..." She stopped, looking at you, smiling. "The camp dance is in a few days and I was wondering if you would like to go with me? As friends, of course, you're a charming feller just...not my type." You smiled. "I'd love to, Tilly." She nodded and got back to her chores. Tilly had been your best friend since you joined the gang. You knew that, when she asked you to go to the dance with her, there were no feelings involved. 

You finished your coffee and as you turn to get your guns to rob a stagecoach, Mr Pearson approached you. "Mr L/N, we got mouths that need feedin', would you please go hunting? We're almost out of meat." You nodded and saddled your horse. 

"We're ya goin', lad?" You turn to Sean. "Oh, just out hunting for some game." You stopped for a second. "You wanna come with me?" Sean seemed delighted at your invitation. "Sure", he said, "But I'm not too grand at shooting." You smiled. "Don't worry. I can teach you to use a bow and arrow if you'd like." 
"That'd be class." You chuckled as you mounted up. "You know, that Irish slang is getting to me." 

You stopped at a meadow near Valentine. Sean hitched your horses at a nearby tree. You turned to Sean. "Alright, stay close. There's a herd of deer." You pointed towards the bunch, handed Sean your bow and began to sneak closer. Sean was right behind you. 

"What do I do?", Sean whispered. You went beside him. "You ready the bow like this,", you led his hands, "insert the arrow and pull the bowstring back to you chin." You motioned him to pull back the string. "Good, now you put the gap between your thumb and your-" Before you could finish the instructions the arrow flew through the air, before bouncing off of a nearby tree. The deer fled immediately. 

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to let go!" You fell into the grass laughing. "It's fine, Sean." Seeing your reaction he chuckled. He fell in the grass beside you. "Ain't much of a shot but you did alright." You turned your face to him. "You wanna go fishing instead? Your da must've taught you a lot if you've been fishing since you were a kid, you said. He laughed. "You remembered?" You raised an eyebrow. "Remembered what?" "The story I told ya yesterday." You turn to him confused. "Of course I did." He let out a relieved sigh. "People don't often listen when I tell stories. Must be right boring for 'em." You looked at the sky. "Well, I find you quite entertaining, Mr MacGuire." He grinned sitting up. "Why thank you, Mr L/N. Now, we goin' fishing or what?" 

You tossed in your bait and looked at Sean. "Tell me more stories about you da." He turned to you with a surprised look on his face. "You really wanna hear another story?" Turning your attention to the line you said "Sure. I like how happy you get when you get to tell stories." 

"Let's see, then." The two of you chatted until dusk, when It was time to head back to camp.

You caught a handful of fish, just enough to feed camp for a night. "T'was fun today, Y/N." You smiled. "I thought so too." 

Before you knew it, the camp dance arrived. Everyone was drunk far before the dance started, but when it did, all of camp split up into couples. You couldn't help but notice that Arthur was dancing with Charles. Even though Charles looked like he was just pairing up with Arthur for a little fun, Arthur had a spark in his eyes. Maybe, just maybe, they were the right people to tell. 

But you quickly suppressed the thought when Tilly approached you. "You wanna dance?" It wasn't popular for women to ask men to dance with them, then again her boldness was the main reason you two were friends. "Sure", you smiled, standing up. "I'm not a good dancer, though, so watch your feet." She laughed and you swayed to the music. But something wasn't right. You could feel somebody's eyes on your neck. You could see Karen staring at you from the corner of your eye. You excused yourself and sat down a bit further away from everybody else. 

But it wasn't long until she found you. "What are you doing?", Karen asked, clearly irritated. 
"I'm not sure I know what you mean?" You were genuinely perplexed at her approach. "Oh, you know just what I mean. I see the way you look at Sean. You little pervert."
"I...I don't..." "Don't give me that!", she interrupted, almost yelling. You clenched your teeth. If she would hit the man she loved, what would she do to you? "I know you're sweet on him. I know it. But I'm telling you now, there is no place in this gang for no-good faggots like you." She was screaming at you, her finger in your face. You were horrified that someone would hear. 

"He won't love you. Nobody will ever love you, you piece of shit!" With that she clenched her fist and punched you in the face. You heard a loud crack. The pain flooded over you. Your vision was getting blurry and all you could make out was Karen stomping into Dutch's tent. "No...", you murmured before you passed out. 

"Y/N!" Arthur was shaking you, trying to get you to wake up. You opened your eyes. Charles was standing next to Arthur with a worried look on his face. "What happened?", he asked before you closed your eyes again. You felt Arthur pick you up and put you in your cot before you fell unconscious once more. 

You woke up to the sound of birds chirping. You got out of your bed, a little too fast, when you felt the pain hit. Groaning you sat back down again. Worried you touched your nose. You were certain it was broken just by the way it was pulsating. Your whole head was throbbing, so you pulled a bottle of bourbon from underneath your bed and took a swing of it. You got back out of bed and stepped foot outside.

 All of camp was swarming you. Dutch stepped out of the crowd and in front of you. "Y/N,", he started, the seriousness growing in his voice,"please tell me that what Karen told me isn't true." You looked him in the eye. You knew if you told the truth you'd be a dead man for sure. "It's not true", you said trying to convince even yourself. "Good", Dutch said before signing the gang to leave.