Chapter VIII: Last one standing

You curse to yourself, stopping your horse. Sean had gone to ambush the soldiers with the gang, you knew you had to do something. "Stay back here. I will try to get them back." With that you rode on onwards, spurring your horse to go faster. The gang had demolished the army camp and a large fire was spreading rapidly. Still, the army fought back unfazed. "Dutch, this is madness", you yelled, "You've finally lost your mind."

He didn't respond and you dismounted to get closer towards the gang, when blood splattered all over you. Your eyes widened as you look down. There was a gaping hole in your chest. You sputtered before you fell to the ground. 

"Y/N!", Sean yelled. He dragged your body into cover to examine your wounds. His eyes started to water and you gave him a pure smile. "Listen, Sean", you say, your voice raspy, "I love you. And I hope you know that, but I don't want you to spend your life mourning over me. I want you to be happy." You coughed. Sean looked horrified as you reached out to touch his cheek. He leaned into your touch.

"Forget about me", you whisper as your vision blurred and you see Sean bawl his eyes out.

Everything started to fade.