Chapter V: Spite

You woke up to the feeling of sunrays touching your nose. Today was going to be busy, since you were moving camp locations to a place called Cotorra Springs. It was located near the Wapiti Indian Reservation. Dutch decided to move you there to help Rains Fall and his tribe make negotiations with the government regarding a trade settlement. 

You got up and as you stepped foot outside, Ms Grimshaw was rushing you with helping the girls load up the supplies. After you finished your chores, you went to see about how the rest of the gang was doing, but you couldn't help but notice that Karen was gone. You asked around for her for a while until you went to confront Sean.

"Have you seen Karen by any chance?", you ask. "No, I was hopin' you'd have seen her."
It was then that Dutch had an announcement for the gang. "Today is the day we start a new chapter. Everyone, I assume you know that we are moving to Cotorra Springs, a beautiful landmark filled with hot springs, where we will stay until we come up with a solid plan. Ms Jones sadly won't be joining us today, but she has assured me that she will return soon enough. The rest of us, let's move!"
With that you loaded up the last weapons and you were off.  

"Now, why did you chase her away?", you asked, directing the question to a now startled Sean, who was riding next to you. 
"You think I scared her off? Y/N, I thought you were better than that."
You chuckle. "I was messing with you. But you're sure you don't know where she is?" Sean let out a deep sigh, you knew that he was concerned. "Well, she told me that she was sick of...I don't know what. She was yelling at me, so I kinda...blacked out a bit." You stopped in your tracks, letting the camp's caravan pass. You groan and rubbed your eyes. "Sean, I was hoping that I didn't need to tell you this", you look at him, "You need to end this. All the crap with her, I mean. Not for me, but for your own sake. You hear me?" Sean was avoiding eye contact. "Sean?"
"Yeah", he said, "Yeah, I think I'll do that."

"Get off that goddamn wagon, this is a robbery!" You were annoyed to be held up and rode to the front of the caravan, blocking the robbers' way. "Do we have a problem, gentlemen?", you asked, putting your hand firmly onto your holster.

"Didn't you hear me? Get off the damn stage, you-" Before he could finish his sentence, you were aiming your revolver straight at his face. "I said", you raise your voice, "do we have a problem, gentlemen?" You got off your horse, walking towards the men.

The outlaw looked to his accomplice before they opened fire. You shot the first outlaw in the chest, causing him to sputter before collapsing on the ground. You shot the other in the leg. He stumbled to the ground, letting out a desperate scream. "You better run, before you end up like your friend", you pointed to the corpse. "Run, boy", you say, standing up. The outlaw nodded before lumping into the woods.

"Why'd you let him get away, Y/N?", Dutch asked. "He wasn't worth the extra blood on our hands. You go ahead and set up camp, I'll deal with the body." The caravan passed you and Sean rode up to you. "What's with the sudden change of character?" You grinned at him before throwing the body over your shoulder. "I only pretend when I'm around you", you pat his shoulder, "Don't want you to get overwhelmed." 

Once you had unpacked and set up your tent, dawn had fallen and everyone was drinking and enjoying themselves around the campfire. You were tending the horses when you saw Karen emerging from the woods.

"Ms Jones is back!", you yelled to the others before approaching her. "It's good to see you again, we were worried", you said, trying to strike up a conversation. "Get your filth away from me." You backed up, startled, as you saw her run up to Sean.

"You're back!", he said, trying his best to sound excited, but really, your words were lingering in the back of his head: "You need to end this. All the crap with her, I mean." He knew you were right, but ending things with Karen at this point would only cause confusion and suspicion, so he played along. 

You clenched your teeth at the sight of them together, but decided to play it off. You grabbed a bottle of whiskey and sat down at the fire. "You okay?", Arthur asked. "Just dandy." 

The further into the night, the more drunk everyone got and you decided to lay off the alcohol after a bottle. Sean was running around, singing something in what you could only identify as his mother tongue.

You walked up to him, to try and calm him down. "Sean, you need to stop drinking this", you took the bottle out of his hands and threw it away. Sean looked at you, clearly angry that you disposed of you drink. "If you think you can stop me, you're far behind, mister!", he spluttered. You hushed him and laid your hands on his shoulders. "Let's get you inside."

You made the decision to take him to your tent, since his was too small for two people. "Y/N", he groaned. "It's okay Sean", you said, laying him into your cot. 
You sat on the chair next to the bed. "You're really good-looking, you know that?", he asked.
You chuckled. "You're drunk, I know you don't mean that." 
"No, I do", he answered, sitting up, "and the way you dealt with the idiots when we were moving was-" 
You blushed. "Shut up." Sean saw you turn away from him. You covered your face with your hands. Suddenly you were yanked off of the chair and into Sean's arms.

You gasped. Sean held you tightly as he began to kiss your neck. "Sean..."
He didn't react and moved his lips further down. "Sean...I don't." He ignored you. 
"Sean", you said firmly. He stopped and looked you in the eye as you moved off of him.

"What's wrong, Y/N?" "I won't sleep with you when you're drunk", you muttered, hoping he wouldn't hear you. "What was that?" You sighed and moved close to his face. "I don't fuck with drunkards. You understand?" Sean nodded, perplexed by your response. "Just...get some sleep." With that you left the tent.