Chapter IV: On edge

You got off your horse, walking towards the camp tents, trying to look as confident as possible. "Y/N!" Sean grinned, running towards you. He wrapped you into a warm embrace. "I've missed ya, don't leave me here alone again", he said, turning to the few people, that were scattered across camp. "Careful, or you'll catch something, MacGuire", you hear Micah chuckle as he passed by. Sean shook his head. "Ah, feck off, will ya?" He leads you to Dutch's tent to announce your return. 

"Mr L/N", Dutch greeted you, standing up, "It's good to have you back. I wasn't sure you'd return, given the circumstances." You nod before following him outside. "Mr L/N has returned!", Dutch said, attracting the camp member's attention. "This calls for a party!" 
You didn't dare to look anyone in the eye. The last thing you wanted was a reunion in your name. But you didn't object to the idea of getting drunk. 

"Where were you?", Arthur had approached you, Charles behind him. 
"I just...needed some time away from camp after everything that happened." Charles nodded. "Well, we're glad to have you back." "It's good to be back. Anyways, I'm gonna go catch up with the girls", you said.

"Hey, Y/N", Tilly greeted you, hugging you tightly. "It's good to see you again", you answered, Tilly letting go of you. Karen huffed as she stood up and left you with the others. "I blame her for what's happened", Mary-Beth said, whispering to you. "You can't really", you answer, "I understand why she was mad. Thinking I was sweet on Sean. I get it."
"Still, she could've gone about it differently. Woman ruined your entire reputation in the gang", Tilly mentioned.  You shrugged it off, grabbing behind you to get a bottle of beer. 

"I've got a feeling that they're gonna fight." Tilly chuckled at Mary-Beth's comment. You looked to where the two were pointing, only to see a glimpse of Karen and Sean arguing by the supply wagon. You groaned. The two of them were loud enough that you could hear their heated conversation. 

"Don't you see? He's in love with you!", Karen told Sean. "Shut up!", Sean yelled. You were taken aback by his response, you'd never heard him fight back in an argument with Karen. "I'm sure that you'll fall for him, the bastard you are!", she countered. "Will I, yeah?" 

You stood up sighing and excused yourself, not before taking a swing of beer. You told Dutch that you were going to take a walk and hunt some game. He was confused as to why you would go out hunting this late but he let you go. 

You got off your horse and removed your bow and arrows from beneath the saddle. You inserted an arrow and stretched the bowstring. Your elbow went behind your ear and up a bit, hooking the gap between your thumb and index finger to the end of your jawbone. You fixated on your target, an old birch, exhaled and let go. The arrow flew through the air and stuck in the tree bark. You spent the last few hours before sunrise on target practice, before you headed back to camp. 

Everyone in camp had gone to bed by the time you arrived. Everyone except for Sean. He was pacing up and down the entrance of camp, biting his nails, looking highly agitated. He had not seen you yet and sat down by a nearby willow tree. You left your horse at a hitching post and approached Sean, who still didn't see you. "Wild night, huh?", you said, causing Sean to jump at the sound of your voice. "Jesus!" You repressed a chuckle. "What are you doing still up?", you asked, looking at Sean before sitting down beside him. 

"I could ask you the same. Where even were you? You can't just up and leave like that." You sighed and leaned against the tree. "I needed some time to think." "One would believe you had enough time to think when you were gone for three days", he countered, an annoyed tone in his voice. You looked down to your feet. "I'm sorry." "I know." The two of you were silent for a moment. 

"So, is it true?", he wanted to know. A shiver ran down your back. "Is what true?" He nudged you slightly before turning to you. "What Karen told me." You groaned. You knew that one day it would get out and he would know but you were hoping that that day would never come. You rubbed your forehead, knowing you couldn't hide it anymore. "What if it was?" Keeping it vague was your best option in the moment. "I don't know." 

Sean was troubled. You laid your hand on his shoulder. "I don't want anything to stop our friendship, Sean. And I don't want you to think of me as a different person." You took your arm off his shoulder.
"I like you, Sean MacGuire", you said, "I really do. I know I shouldn't. And I know that you're with someone else and we couldn't come to be anyways but-" 

You only now noticed how close you were to each other, your faces only inches apart. You blushed, just before Sean smacked his lips onto yours. You were confused but happy at the same time. Another shiver went down your spine, when Sean caressed your cheek. You wanted to stay like this forever. Together with the man you loved.