Road trip

After the awkwardness that was the day in Barton's old archery training room Artemis put some distance between her, Bucky and Steve. She just couldn't look either man in the eye after that embarrassing encounter. Needless to say the rest of the week into the next two had been strained for all three of them. It wasn't like she was going out of her way to avoid them or anything. She just made sure to always have a buffer so that she wouldn't say or do something stupid. That buffer usually being one of her new friends that consisted of Pietro, Peter or Thor. And besides it wasn't like this awkward thing was one sided. Even though Bucky had said he'd be willing to be a knife sparring partner he would practically sprint from the room if she entered it. Taking it on the chin Artemis sought out the next available person, Thor. He wasn't as comfortable with a blade as he was with his hammer, but after being alive for over fifteen hundred years the man definitely knew his way around weapons of all kinds.

Still, after three weeks of gaining the team's trust and settling into a new rhythm she needed a break and to clear her head. So she asked Tony if she could borrow one of the SUV's used by the SHIELD agents. As she wasn't sure if she could or not and since her car was still back in Salem, she figured she'd need the go-ahead so they didn't think she was stealing it or something. Since she was now technically an agent and in his eyes a full blown Avenger, Stark had told her she didn't need to ask permission. In fact, he'd offered to loan her one of his nicer sports cars. But when she told him why she was going back to Westchester and with whom he'd made sure that Happy, his sometimes driver and personal bodyguard, filled the tank of his personal SUV insisting that she take it. "Its armor is better quality than the SHIELD ones and FRIDAY is connected so if anything happens then we're only a call away."

The abrupt one-eighty with Tony was a godsend because he gave her a friend and a new mentor in one go. After their talk he'd taken her under his wing and side by side with Peter he was showing them what it took to be a part of the team. When she wasn't training or he wasn't busy being a billionaire boss you could usually find Artemis in the workshop hanging out with him and Bruce. She wasn't as close with Banner as she was Tony but he was cool. Artemis liked being around the two. Stark is kind of like that uncle who just says yes to everything when mom's back is turned to cause mischief and mayhem and Bruce is the dorky lovable dad who says he disapproves, but totally joins in on the fun. Which is why when she'd brought up her idea of going back to Salem a week ago they suggested she take a friend or two with her.

A slow smile crept across her face when the idea planted firmly in her head. Tony made sure to get the proper approval with the youngest Avengers aunt for him to go along on the overnight road trip. One interesting dinner later Artemis and Thor had gotten May's permission to take Peter with them. Speaking of the kid, she checked her phone for the time as her and Thor finished washing up their breakfast dishes. "We need to get a move on if we want to make good time."

Shooting the young woman a grin at her anxiousness, the god of Thunder rested a large hand on her small shoulder. "Worry not, Peter will be along shortly. He is excited to get to meet your friends and the kids at the school. He won't chance being left behind."

Before she could open her mouth to reply, the rapid running footsteps and a muffled curse when he dropped one of his two bags announced Peter's arrival seconds before he came barreling around the corner. "Sorry, sorry, I'm here! I ran into Piet and we got to talking about the new Assassin's Creed that's coming out."

Failing to hide her amusement Artemis just grabbed her overnight bag which Thor promptly relieved her off along with his own and they headed for the elevator. "Let's get a move on, Parker. Now, you were in charge of snacks. Please tell me you didn't forget." She'd wanted him to feel like he was contributing to their weekend since he wouldn't be able to drive.