The Proposal

One second he was talking to Scott about baseball, the next Pietro had stolen Artemis from next to him on the couch. Then next he was spinning her out on the dance floor. Steve found he couldn't even be too mad when she saw her throw her head back and laugh as Piet said something to make her stop scowling at him for whisking her off. The sight of Artemis so happy surrounded by their friends made him smile. Although his hands clenched into tight fists when the Sokovian twirled her around bringing her back up against his body, splaying out a hand over her taut stomach to close any remaining distance between them as their hips moved in sync to the fast paced music. The music of today was vastly different from when he grew up. The way people were so relaxed with themselves, their sexual selves, was so unlike what he knew that when Steve first woke up back in 2011 he'd been shocked.

It wasn't just how people dressed or presented themselves, it was in how they interacted with each other. Flirting was as casual as breathing. Where back in his day you only flirted if you were interested, now he couldn't tell if a woman generally wanted to date him or was just being friendly. And on that note, the women of today. So confident in who they were and what they wanted that it was an equal measure of massive attraction and intimidating. Take Artemis for example. In small ways that mattered she reminded him of a combination of Peggy, Natasha and Wanda. Fierce determination to show everyone around her that she belonged and not just because of her people's cause. It's like she was saying 'I'm more than just a pretty face who just so happens to have this amazing ability'. A snarky sense of humor that could turn deadly on a time should the occasion call for it. They'd seen it for themselves on their mission. One second she had been bantering with Tony while firing off arrows; the next she'd gone silent as she took out two men who nearly got in the drop on him. While she'd gone back to chatting back and forth, the fact that she had to take two people's lives hadn't just rolled off of her. Artemis felt and respected their deaths all the while knowing if she hadn't he could very well be in their place.

Brazen and sweet, kind and fierce. A hurricane wrapped up in a beautiful soul, that was Artemis and yet it didn't even come close to truly describing her at all. Steve watched her dancing with their friends smiling at the pure joy she radiated. Drawing everyone to her like moths to a flame. Just like him who couldn't take his eyes off of her for a second. It was as Jean quietly spoke to him that Steve realized he completely stopped talking to either her or Scott because Artemis had fully captured his attention simply by being in the room.

"I think you'd be a good choice for her." His gaze tore away from the small brunette to look at the auburn haired woman to his left. "Now I've yet to meet your friend Bucky, but the way Artemis talked about him..I get the feeling he would as well." Surprise lights up his eyes while mischief dances in Jean's green orbs as she takes a long sip of her wine. Wiping at her bottom lip with her middle finger to catch a drop of the dark liquid she gives him an assessing once over. "I don't usually get involved with others' romantic lives. However right now I think she's being too hard on herself so I'm going to offer you some advice."

Glancing at Scott, who just smiled as he settled his arm around his girlfriend's waist. Tipping his head to the woman he loved, he said, "I'd listen to her. Jean is rarely wrong."

Figuring 'what the hell do I have to lose?' Steve throws back the rest of his drink and sets the glass on the table in front of him. "Alright then. What's your advice?"

"This little plan of yours? It won't get you anywhere." Wide eyed, he frowned at her wondering how the hell she knew about that. "Sorry. Telepath remember? And for the record, you all think very loudly." Crossing one long leg over the other Jean leans back into Scott's side, a serious expression on her face. "My advice is to be honest with Artemis. In a subtle truthful way of course. I can tell you right now she won't be tricked into thinking this plan of yours is her's. She has a tactical thinking mind. Seeing five steps ahead of everybody else. Well usually. You and your friend seem to be in her blind spot." That had Steve inwardly preening just a little. That she was having the same difficulties as he was when it came to her. "Still, she will see she's being played and that will only make you both lose before you ever get to start."