Chapter 1

"Can I have two of those scrumptious looking plums?" I pointed out to the plums sitting in a big box. The thought of having plum tarts for dessert had me licking my lips. The old woman smiled heartily nodding her head a bit. "Here you go, mója droga. Stay beautiful always." The old woman waved goodbye, not forgetting to give kisses on the cheeks.

It has been two weeks since I stepped foot here in Poland. The sweet smelling fresh air had me falling in love with this country. Just another journey to find out more about the love of my life. Food. Here in the outskirts of Warsaw, cycling is the best option to go to the farmer's market to get fresh groceries if you are planning to enjoy the fresh air. Much like suburbs, it was calm and peaceful.

"Dzień dobry, aunty Quinn!" The neighbour's kids greeted. I smiled warmly, waving my hand. When I first arrived in the village, my eyes caught the sight of the beautiful white cottage resided 2 minutes away from the town. Polka, the neighbour who lives next door was nice enough to ring the owner to inform the news about me wanting to rent the place. Polka was happily married with her husband and had four children, two girls and two boys. Such a bundle of joy!

Once entering the house, I set my groceries on the counter top when the sound of Taylor Swift singing Shake It Off filled the kitchen. "Cześć. Quinn DeVaux here." Biting my lips, trying to restrain the giggles from coming out. It's funny how I managed to learn few Polish words from socializing too much with the elderly at the farmer's market. The caller groaned roughly. Hmph, must be mom.

"Young lady, I command you to come back home now!" Yup, it's mom.

"I haven't explore all the wonders of food here, mom."

"Dear, you are starting to sound like the Poles! Who knows the next thing you do is applying for the citizenship there!"

"We both know that will not happen. Now, how are you? Is dad fine?"

"We are fine. Just come home. You haven't come home for 4 years now. Take a break, honey. We missed you so much."

"I'll think about it. Talk to you later."

Maybe mom was right. Maybe I should take a break from all the travelling. Besides, it has been a long time since I tasted mom's cooking. The pot roast, the chicken pot pie and mom's famous molten lava cakes. Yep, I definitely should go home.

"Polka, I'm going to fly back to the States tonight. I'm here to say goodbye to you and the kids." Polka was silenced for few minutes, blinking her eyes few times. "I hope you will visit us soon again, Quinn." She said. Her eyes were starting to glisten. Polka was a sweet and kind lady in her 30s. Everytime, she would sent some traditional Polish dishes like Flaki, Pierogi and Karpatka cake. Such a sweet time. "Do widzenia, aunty Quinn." The kids said equally. I'm surely going to miss these bundles of joy. One last time I, hugged Polka and the kids.

America, I'm coming home.