The Home Stretch

With formal out of the way, you were in the home stretch for the rest of the semester. You had a week of classes, then finals, and you were done. To say you were stressed was an understatement.

"Just think, two weeks, and we're done," Rafe says, patting your back as you're hunched over your polisci notes in your kitchen.

"Two long weeks," you emphasize. "And this class," you say, tapping your screen, "is going to be the death of me."

"I thought you had all A's," he says, feeling a little confused.

"Political science is barely an A," you reply. "If I want to keep my 4.0, I need to get at least a B on this final."

He turns your screen towards him. "This is intro, right?" he asks, scanning through the text. You hum out a response. "I can help you. I took this last semester."

"So did Liz. I have her notes. I mean, I guess I'm ready, but the tests are always so fucking hard. I almost wish they were essay based. When I have too many multiple choice options, I second guess myself."

"Be more confident in your answers," he says, as though it's obvious.

"Oh, sure, never thought of that," you say, rolling your eyes.

He chuckles. "I'm just saying, that's how I got through."

"Not all of us are bursting with confidence a hundred percent of the time," you reply.

"I'm not, you should know that by now," he says. "But I do know my political science."

"I might have you quiz me then," you say. You close your laptop. "I'm done staring at this for the night. Want to grab food?"

"Yeah, of course," he answers. "I'll drive."

The two of you leave your apartment and head to Old Faithful (Chipotle, obviously) and decide to eat there just so you can enjoy a little time outside of the apartment. Pretty much the only places you'll be seeing over the next two school weeks is either your apartment, the library, or the classroom to prepare for finals.

"So... winter break," Rafe starts, waiting for the go ahead from you to continue.

"Yeah? What about it?" you ask.

"How long are you going home for?"

You shrug. "A few days around Christmas. Why?"

He looks relieved. "Good. I didn't know if you were planning on being gone the whole time."

You shake your head. "No way. We have like four weeks off. I'll be gone like three, four days max," you say.

"Cool. Also... I got you something for Christmas."

"Good, because I got you something, too," you reply. "What did you get me?"

"Are you going to tell me what you got for me?" he asks. You shake your head no. "Then I'm not telling you what your gift is," he says. "It's a surprise."

"Like a normal surprise or a trip to Europe with all expenses paid surprise?"

He laughs. "A normal surprise. But if you are wanting to go to Europe, I can look into it for this summer."

"This summer, huh? You don't think you'll be tired of me by then?"

His smile falls. "No. Are you getting tired of me already?"

"Rafe, I was kidding," you say, exasperated with him. "I'll never get tired of you."

His expression softens. "You don't think?"