Promise Me This

"I was there for four days and you couldn't have gave a shit less, I'm not coming back," Rafe huffs, pacing his bedroom floor with his phone to his ear.

"Rafe, I need you to come back for two, three days max. You should really meet these people opening the satellite office in Durham. You'll be managing them one day," Ward replies. There's a light clicking of a keyboard in the background as he types something.

Rafe briefly considers smashing his phone against the wall, then decided against it, because he know it won't do him any good. "You don't need me there, dad, you're just trying to parade me around in front of these people so you look like father of the year."

"Honestly, son, I don't care for the accusation, nor do I care for your tone. You're coming home for a few days to meet them with me, and that's final."

"I'm busy," Rafe says.

"You have over two weeks until classes start again. What could you possibly have to do?" Ward asks. "Is it that girl making you want to stay? I guess if you just can't bear to be without her, you can bring her with you. She'll have to find something to do while we do business, though."

Rafe had known the moment he picked up the phone that his father was going to demand he come home for something, and as hard as he fought it, he would have to go. Taking you with him made it seem a little more bearable, but then you'd be stuck in his house alone (or worse, with his nosey sisters) while he was out with Ward making deals.

"I don't even know if she'll want to come," he says.

"Then ask her. But I need you here, you have to be a part of these business dealings with me. You have to know the people that work for us," Ward reiterates.

Rafe sighs heavily, placing his phone down on his desk so both hands are free to massage his temples for a moment. He picks the phone back up. "I'll talk to her," he says after a long pause.

"Great. Send me a text later to let me know if she's coming or if you'll be coming alone."

A few minutes later, Rafe is off the phone with Ward, and he goes to his texts, hovering over your name. Come over if you aren't busy. I have a proposition, he sends to you.

When you see the text, you're instantly curious. You weren't doing anything remotely important, so you get up, throw on shoes and a coat, and make your way over to his apartment. He's frowning as he opens the door.

"Well, hello to you, too," you say sarcastically, making your way to the couch.

"I need you to be my emotional support human for a few days," he says, sitting down across from you.

Your demeanor totally shifts. "Oh? Did something happen?"

He sighs. "No, but I have to go back to the island for a couple days. Business stuff," he explains.

"But you were just there," you point out. "And you were incredibly unhappy 99% of the time."

"Well aware of that fact," he says. "But I have to go back again."

"For what, exactly?" you ask.

"Dad's opening a satellite office in Durham, and he wants me to come with him to meet with the guys who will be running the place," he says. "He said it's important for me to know the people who work for us."

You give him sympathetic eyes as you reach for his hand and squeeze it. "I'll come with you, but what am I going to be doing while you're with your dad?"

"That's why I'm hesitant to ask you to come with me. I don't know what you'll do. Borrow the car, drive around and explore a bit? Hang out with my sisters?" he suggests. "I'll probably have to do a lunch or a dinner with them, not sure what else. It'll be boring as fuck for you, and me too, honestly, but I can't stand the idea of going back there alone after how last week went."