When Things Go South

After a shower, nap, late dinner, and a (short) walk on the cold ass beach, you and Rafe call it a night, changing into pajamas and cuddling up in his bed together.

"How pissed do you think my dad would be if we left tomorrow morning?" he asks as he plays with your hair.

You give him a questioning look. "Do you want to leave a day early?"

"I'm the equivalent of arm candy for him. He drags me along to these client meetings and acts like we're business partners and he can't wait to retire and hand everything over to me when the time is right. It's so fucking fake," he grumbles.

You frown. "We can go if you really want to."

He sighs heavily. "We'll stay. I'll go to the dinner with him. But maybe we can leave after I get back?" he suggests. "We'll get back to school pretty late, but I really need to get out of here."

Your frown deepens. "What happened today that made you want to leave?"

He shrugs, looking away for a moment. "Just the shit he says, comments he makes. And I really fucking hate that he drags you into this—"

"Me?" you interrupt.

"Yeah—I mean, don't worry about it, it's not important, it's just shitty," he says.

"No, what did he say about me?" you demand to know. "What did he say, Rafe?" you continue when he doesn't respond.

"Just dumb shit, like 'don't let that girl distract you from the end goal', 'does she even understand how important this is?', or 'ever since you met her it seems like you aren't into this anymore'," he fires off. "I've never wanted to take over the family business, but I've been pushed into it my whole life."

You frown. "Have you ever sat down with Ward and told him this?"

He rolls his eyes. "Do you think he cares? No, he wants what he wants, and he'll get his way, at whatever expense."

"Maybe I shouldn't have come," you say after a pause.

He gives you a look. "What? No, of course you should've come, what are you talking about?"

"You are distracted when I'm around. Your focus isn't where it needs to be."

"You're as bad as he is with not listening. I don't want this!" he exclaims, his voice slightly raised. "I have no say in what happens in my life! Everything is already planned out for me to my grave."

"You misunderstood—"

"You misunderstood!" he interrupts.

"You didn't let me finish!"

"I just told you I don't want this for my future and you took his side," he says.

"I didn't take his side, Rafe, I'm trying to point out that I'm clearly making things worse for you by being here," you say.

"You're the only reason it's tolerable!" he exclaims. "I have to go do shit with him and pretend like everything's perfect and it's exhausting, and knowing  I can come home and see you is what's getting me through." He sighs heavily. "And you're saying you shouldn't have come with me? Thanks. I'll just walk off the pier and be a meal for the sharks next time I have to come home."

"That's dramatic," you snap. "I don't understand why you can't just look him in the eye and tell him you're not interested. If he has any shred of respect for you, he'll let you walk away."

He lets out a humorless laugh. "Respect for me? You're funny."

"Ward is toxic as fuck, but you have to at least try to do something about it. You can't just keep going along with all his demands, or he's going to think he can give you more."