Chapter 2 - Understanding

During the first semester

"Maa.. just see what bhai did to me when I was sleeping.." Ayan walked to the dining room, complaining about Arnav to his mother.

Arnav walked past Ayan and sat on his chair earning an angry look from his little brother.

"What is this Chote?" Ratna asked shocked to see Ayan's clothes wet.

Khushi, who was helping Ratna in setting the breakfast table, also looked up at Ayan and pressed her lips trying to suppress her laughter after seeing his state. Siblings are always like this, finding ways to torture each other and blame each other for everything, but at the end of the day, sometimes they're the Best Friends you keep searching around the world.

"Ma he threw the water from the jug on me," Ayan cried.

"Haha go on and make me the villain in Ma's eyes," Arnav laughed sarcastically making Ayan pout frowning at him. 

"Ma he told me to wake him up early today because he wants to study, better say memorize the topics few minutes before his exam. I did try to wake him up in every way I could but he didn't, so I just threw water on him. Now if I didn't wake him up on time, he would have cried and get angry with me," Arnav explained and shrugged.

"But you shouldn't have done that to me. What if I got an heart attack?" Ayan asked dramatically.

Khushi smiled at Ayan's drama as soon as he got caught, keeping an empty plate on Arnav's side of the table for him. Arnav looked up at her and smiled mumbling a thank you to her.

"Shut up Ayan. Don't speak rubbish. Go and freshen up now and come to have breakfast. Then you'll study for your exam," Ratna scolded him making her way towards the kitchen.

"Ma this is not fair. You're always defending your favorite son," Ayan whined running back to his room.

Arnav chuckled shaking his head at his little brother.

"Should I bring you tea or coffee?" Khushi asked timidly.

"Coffee," Arnav replied. Khushi nodded.

Meanwhile Nani came to the dining room and took her seat at the breakfast table.

"Khushi.." Arnav called her as soon as he remembered something in his mind.

Khushi turned to him, "Ji (Yes)."

"Tomorrow is Aman's mother birthday. Do you want to go to her birthday party with me?" Arnav asked.

Khushi hesitated, unsure what to reply to him. She looked at Nani seeking for permission through her eyes.

Nani glanced at Arnav, "But Khushi bitiya doesn't even know your friend's family. What will she do over there?"

Khushi went back to the kitchen to bring coffee for Arnav sadly.

"What do you mean by that Nani? She will enjoy and mingle with other people other than us. She came here to study but that doesn't mean you will keep her locked in the house and let her step outside only for college. Let the girl breath! Do you guys even care to notice how she's still shy and nervous around us? She's not comfortable here with us because you guys keep watching her moves 24*7 like she's about to commit a crime. For God sake, she knows what she is here for and she won't do anything that will spoil both families reputation. Stop doing this to her Nani," Arnav voiced out his thoughts angrily.

"Hello hi bye bye.. early in the morningwa you two are fighting like two chirping birdies!" Mami said, taking her seat with her husband beside her.

Arnav looked down at his plate, trying to control his anger now as he didn't want to turn his argument with Nani into an entertainment movie for his Mami.