Chapter 19 - First confession!

Friday morning..

Arnav woke up early to drop Khushi and Ayan at college and school, respectively, and then he came back to take his family to the airport. He took a day off office today as  he personally wanted to accompany his family to the airport.

Arnav sat beside his mother on a bench as they waited for their flight announcement.  He side hugged her and dropped an affectionate kiss on her forehead, "Take care of yourself there, Ma. I know you will be busy with the wedding, but don't miss my calls, okay?"

"Okay," Ratna nodded, smiling at him. She just can't believe the same little boy who needed his mother to accompany him till the gate of his school is now a grown-up man accompanying his mother to the airport and taking care of her as if he's her father and she's his little kid. Time flies. She thought.

"And you -"

"I know. You don't have to worry about Ayan and Khushi. I'll look after them," he blinking his eyes assuringly.

"Hello hi bye bye.. sirf Ayan and Khushi imphortant to you, Arnav bitwa? Kya about mera beta?" Mami looked at him with hurt, accusing eyes.

"Do I really have to look after my older brother, Mami?" Arnav asked in a sarcastic annoyed tone. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes at her question out of respect for her being older to him.

Mama immediately chided his wife, warning her not to create a scene at the airport now. Mami unwillingly shut her mouth and looked away angrily.

Ratna also patted Arnav's thigh, gesturing him through her eyes to let it go and not start an argument with his mami. Arnav frowned slightly, shaking his head as he shifted his attention back to her, ignoring everyone else.

"So you and Khushi decided to be friends now?" Ratna asked in a whisper secret tone as she tried to divert her son's mind.

Arnav nodded his head, "Yes."

"Are you completely sure about this? Or you're just doing this because of what I said to you? Are you giving up because of me?" Ratna asked. She was divided in her emotions ever since she got to know her son's feelings for Khushi. Knowing the strict and reserved family that Khushi was born in, a part of her was relieved if Arnav doesn't end up in a relationship with Khushi as it would be difficult for him to deal with a family like Khushi's and convince them of their love for each other in future. But another part of her was drowning in guilt. She thought she was too blamed for breaking Arnav's spirit to fight for his first love by projecting her fear and insecurities of her failed relationship on him. It's true that she gave her heart and soul to her relationship with his father, and her heart was broken in the end. But she can never be 100% sure of Arnav's fate if he actually decides to embark on a love journey with Khushi. From what she had been noticing about Khushi, it is that despite being caged with restrictions by her family, Khushi goes out of her way to reach her son always. She didn't even break their friendship when he confessed his past feelings to her, which is a huge sign for Ratna that Khushi would fight to be with Arnav in future, just like she fought to be here in Delhi to complete her studies.

"It's best this way," he curtly replied to his mother.

"I think you're confused now.. but time will clear your doubts and answer your questions. If anything changes during this time, then don't hesitate to come to your mother. I'm always here by your side," Ratna said, caressing his cheek.

Arnav held the hand with which she was caressing his cheek, and he dropped a soft filled with gratitude kiss on the back of her hand. Ratna smiled, then remembered something, "Aur haan.. if you do anything or say anything wrong, like you did with Khushi last time, then this same hand won't hesitate to twist your ear hard and teach you a lesson."