Chapter 13: New Possibilities

The Sheikh was downstairs and my aunt and uncle, as well as two cousins, all went to talk in the den area.

I stood there, without my shirt, which was making me kind of uncomfortable. Yes, they were my family but I was a bit too exposed, and even though I was technically now a model and at times I had to be bare-chested during certain shoots, I was still insecure about my body even though I was in shape and had a model like body, as most have told me.

For a brief moment, I looked at the slash Yacine had given me. It still hurt but it would heal, though that having gotten knifed for like the third time.

"I know you guys want to know why I know how to fight the way I do" I began.

"Yeah" my uncle said. "The moves you've displayed during both battles with Yacine have been beyond simple martial arts moves. It's almost as if you were highly trained for dangerous missions."

I sighed, unsure how to begin the revelation.

"You're right, these moves are beyond what I learned before coming to Lebanon over a year ago. But I'm going to tell you all the truth because secrets tend to destroy relationships and I can't lose you guys to a stupid secret. Especially over something unnecessary to keep secret since it's not like I'm holding on to state secrets either."

All pairs of eyes were on me. I felt intimidated as I had no idea how they would react but I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt. They deserved that much as they have done a lot for me.

And were there for me when I needed them most.

"When I left Lebanon six months ago, my brother was almost immediately released from jail for what he did to me. The first thing he did to me when he came home, was to beat me bloody when my mom wasn't home. And that continued..."

"So he's really violent with you" said Louai.

"Yeah, he is. I realized I had to get better at defending myself to be able to defend both my mom and little brother, though my brother's aggression is directed more toward me than either of them both. So I sought the help of my then new friend, Jordan Garner, who is an FBI agent and was trained at Quantico and the CIA's farm."

"And you asked him to train you to fight the way they do?" Khaled asked, confirming the obvious.

"Yes, I did. I needed to learn more advanced skills in fighting because things were getting worse and even with these new fighting skills I learned, I still got stabbed and was nearly killed."

"Maybe learning those moves was what saved your life" said my uncle.

"Maybe" I sighed, lowering my head, feeling as my eyes began to water with tears. "I didn't know what else to do, especially with my mom always bailing him out and not letting him suffer any consequences."

"It now all makes sense" said Jihan. "Your skills are too advanced and you're agile and fast as it is."

"Yeah, I guess I learned to be quicker in all physical aspects."

"I get it and you're good" said my uncle.

"You're not scared of the fact I am this good at fighting?" I looked from my uncle to my aunt, to Khaled, and then to Louai.

"No, if anything we feel safer having you around" said Khaled, who was smiling. "Something like this is not enough to get any of us to abandon you. You did what you needed to do to defend yourself and those you love and care for. Your motives were pure."