CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Tom Riddle knew he would win over the giants before he even stepped foot in the mountains; even if he couldn't win them over with his charm, his magic was enough to make them second guess their refusal to join his ranks.

As soon as the sunlight left Malfoy Manor, he and his band of most loyal followers set off on their quest. He took with him who he considered his most loyal followers: Abraxas Malfoy and Regulus Black. Both had proven themselves over his conquest of the Wizarding World, with Abraxas loaning his Manor as headquarters and Regulus loaning his house-elf.

"Malfoy, Black, come with me. We have business to attend to." He called out as he made his way out of the Manor, his followers trailing closely behind him.

The trio apparated to the base of the mountains, the only known residence of the giants, the only place that they had ever been sighted. Once they arrived. not a single word was spoken on their journey to the mountains, the group walked in silence, Tom at the front with the rest of them following behind.

As soon as the altitude began to climb, Tom knew he was entering giant territory. Mist covered the mountains, but even with it, he could still see the silhouettes of a group of giants waiting deep within the forest.

"I am Lord Voldemort; I mean you no harm." He called out as he entered. "With me are my followers, Death Eaters, a group which I hope you will come to join. I should hope you are wise enough to hear me out."

From behind the trees, a group of giants began to emerge, with a clear leader at the front of the pack. Although they didn't seem angry yet, Tom knew giants were temperamental. At first, it seemed as though there were only a few giants making their way towards him, but as his eyes began to focus, he noticed what seemed like hundreds.

"Big crowd tonight my Lord," Abraxas spoke from behind him. "No challenge for you of course," he added quickly after.

"Who is your leader?" He called out to the group of giants.

As one began to emerge, another placed their arm in front of him. "Anything you say to one, you say to all." The voice bellowed, echoing throughout the forest.

"Very well." Tom took several steps forwards. He lifted his wand up to his throat where it acted as a microphone, ensuring the giants were able to hear his voice. "As I am sure you are all aware, I am Lord Voldemort. Similarly to you, I have been outcast by the Wizarding World, as have my followers. I come to offer you a chance to join me in my quest. I want to take back what is rightfully mine, what is rightfully ours." He paused to take a breath, a smirk playing on his lips; nobody could deny his charm.

"For too long, giants have been outcasts of society for one reason alone, your difference. Wizards are afraid of something they cannot understand, and you are that something. But here's where others have gone wrong, you can be understood, just like me, if only one is willing to put in the effort. I am willing." He heard several of the giants begin to mumble.

"Together, we can take down the Ministry, we can claim the positions of power that were stolen from us, we can break down the barriers built to keep us out. A future with me is a future you want to see; I can assure you of that. This is no life you are living, living as an outcast when you are not one. Only when you have been forced out, forced out of the Wizarding World out of fear. I do not have this fear. Fear is for the week."

He spoke directly to their supposed leader, making eye contact as he spoke. "Your people deserve better than this," He gestured to their dark surroundings. "I give them that."

"Forgive me, boy–"

"I am no boy; I am the Dark Lord, and you will refer to me at that should you make the wise choice to join my ranks." He added sharply, curling his lips upwards in an attempt to conceal his annoyance, he thought this task would be easy.

"Forgive me, Lord," he exaggerated, "for not believing you when you seem so convinced of yourself but where is your proof? Where is your army? Where is proof of your actions? All we currently have to go by is what you say."

"Have you not read of the recent sieges? Have you not seen my mark appearing in the sky? All my revolution needs to move forward is you." He could feel his followers shifting behind him, ready to put their backup plan into action. A Lord never went somewhere expecting things to go as planned, especially when those plans involved unreliable beasts such as trolls. If Tom gave the command, his army would strike.

"Those marks in the sky," said the leader, glancing briefly up at the sky. "They, were you?"

Tom scoffed lightly. "Of course they were. No other witch or wizard has the skill to create such a sign of power. The spell you see was created by me, my mind barely had to think, and it appeared. My mind combined with your power is enough to take down the Ministry once and for all."

"Prove it."

He scoffed. "You do not question me." But nonetheless, he turned to Regulus Black, "do the honours."

Regulus pointed his wand up to the sky "Mosrsmorde." As soon as he said the words, smoke flew out of the tip of his wand, shifting itself into the shape of a skull, opening its mouth to reveal a serpent.

"Well, what would we gain from this exchange? I give you all my finest warriors and what would I receive in return?"

Tom didn't miss a beat. "Power. Power like you could never imagine. Within my ranks, nobody would think to question you, you would have all your needs tended to house-elves would wait on you every hour of every day. You would be free from persecution, you could live a life outside of these mountains, a life with no limits. You would have the respect you deserve."

"But how long for? Nobody can live forever, soon we would be forced to come back." The giant stepped forwards, his voice quickly becoming more intense.

"I can. Death is no friend of mine, we shall never greet one another, we shall never cross paths. I am immortal." With that, he knew he had won them over, he knew by the silence that overcame the mountain that he had done it, the giants were on his side.

"Well then my Lord." The giant kneeled down, attempting to get closer to Tom and his followers. "I believe we have an agreement."

Soon after inviting them to join his ranks, Tom began to understand why the giants had been outcasted from society. He did not come to regret his choice, but he came to quickly second guess himself, and Tom Riddle never second-guessed himself. Giants were far more brutal than Tom could ever have imagined. Immediately once they had joined his ranks, Tom and his followers were almost stunned by their power; with one flick of their finger, they could take down a house. Once he saw their handiwork, he knew taking down the ministry would be no trouble at all.

Since joining forces with the giants, havoc had overcome England. Sieges took place all over the country, with Tom leading his army of Death Eaters to victory every time. Throughout the early years of the war, Tom grew his army. He knew he already had the power, but without more affluence in his army, he would get nowhere. He spent years recruiting members of pureblood families, wizards with enough power and affluence to help him win the war. Tom won battle after battle, nobody could even come close to defeating him and he thought they never would.