CHAPTER FOURTEEN

It was four weeks later before Evelyn was finally allowed out of her room. During her weeks of isolation, she read, and she read. Every few days, she woke up to a pile of new books placed outside of her door, and every time she knew exactly who they were from.

"Enjoy your new books?" Regulus asked as he whispered the usual enchantments, opening up the door to her room.

"Absolutely!" Evelyn smiled, "when's my next delivery?"

"Not just yet" Regulus shifted his tone, "the Dark Lord has requested to see you, he's asked me to bring you down."

Evelyn huffed, she had barely had a chance to even talk to Regulus over the past few weeks, let alone infiltrate his mind. As much as they had been able to interact, it hadn't been enough.

"Let's go then," Evelyn followed out after Regulus, rubbing her eyes in the harsh light.

It wasn't long before they arrived back at the office, "the Dark Lord wishes you to go straight in, I will be outside."

Evelyn nodded at him, pushing open the door and stepping into the office. "Nice of you to request my presence," she walked straight in, taking a seat on the grey armchair once more.

"Nice of you to oblige." He turned to face her with a smirk. "Muffiliato, I would rather we weren't overheard."

"You know I have no say in the matter," Evelyn crossed her arms at him, sinking back into her seat.

Toms shook his head lightly, "I require information Evelyn, what have you been able to uncover? Time is running out."

"Well," she paused, "when one is locked in a room, it proves a challenge to read the mind of someone who is not in the same room as them."

"You are not trying hard enough," he said through gritted teeth, "I need answers Evelyn."

"Then let me out!" She had had enough of being locked in the same four walls day in day out, "let me roam free. Do not keep me like a pet," she stood up, "I am not one."

"An animal would do better than you are." He rolled his eyes at her, "I will allow you one more week. In that week, you will be confined to the Manor, but free within the Manor, do I make myself clear?"

She nodded.

"At the end of the week, if you report back to me anything less than perfection, you know exactly what will happen."

Evelyn gulped, in her isolation, she had almost entirely forgotten about Sara. "Where is Sara?"

"Your friend is safe, she is in good company," he smirked at her.

"How do I know that?"

"You will have to trust me Ev-"

Evelyn cut him off, "trust you? How could I do that?"

He looked her in the eyes, "you may have forgotten, but there was once a time when you did. There was once a time where I could have asked you anything, and you would have obliged. It is a shame to see how far you have fallen."

"I did not fall, I was pushed." She spoke quickly, "and was it not by you?"

"I did nothing, other than steer you down a path you should have sought for yourself," he paced around the desk, "you were not going to select the path for yourself that you needed to be travelling down."

"And then I forgot it all. You made me forget."

"How do you know that?" He stopped in his tracks.

She fumbled her words, "I-I..."