CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

At nightfall, Evelyn made her way into the hall of the Malfoy Manor with her wand poised. All her years as an Auror had been leading to this moment, she had spent years perfecting her duelling abilities in the instance she was targeted by dark magic, and tonight it would all pay off.

She watched as Abraxas and Lucius Malfoy entered the room, "excited for the duel?" She asked them apprehensively, shaking off her nerves.

"I should hope Astrea deals with you as a blood traitor should be dealt with," Lucius muttered at her, looking at his father briefly before placing themselves in the corner of the room on Astreas side.

Evelyn gulped, shaking her head. She hoped Tom would at least be on her side, "are you excited?" She asked as he made his way over to her.

"It shall be a good fight I hope." He nodded at her, "I should hope you watch yourself, these floors will be a nightmare to clean your blood off."

"Was that a joke?" She raised her brows at the infamous Dark Lord.

"Perhaps."

"I think it can be assumed that it would not be you scrubbing the blood off these precious floors," she looked down at the glistening hardwood, "I would assume you have a servant for that." 

"I'm sure one of the house elves would oblige."

"If you asked them nicely."  She finished his sentence.

Tom rolled his eyes at her, "do I not always ask nicely?"

"No, you do not." She said  simply before taking her place at one end of the room in preparation for the duel. 

"Finally ready?" Astrea called out with a manical grin, clutching her wand in her hand.

"Are you?" Evelyn retorted, making her way towards the centre of the room in front of Astrea.

"Always."

"Duellers, I think we ought to go over some ground rules before we begin," Tom bellowed, looking over at Astrea. "You have duelled before many years ago, so I expect you to keep it interesting. Do not leave this room,  but do not bore me."

Evelyn chuckled, "I wouldn't dare."

"Now, basic duel etiquette please, and Astrea," he turned to look at the manic woman, "no Unforgivables."

Astrea nodded, bowing lightly at him, "yes my Lord."

"Let the duel begin." He raised his arms, lighting up every corner of the room with small floating candles, "as always, first, you must bow." 

Evelyn dropped her head at Astrea, twirling her hands behind her as Astrea jerked her head awkwardly. 

"Raise your wands, and turn." He commanded, "you will duel on the count of three, no sooner," he glared quickly at Astrea.

"One

two

three."

Evelyn turned on her heel rapidly, "Expelliarmus" It was a beginner sepll,  but nonetheless one she was grateful to have in inventory. 

Astrea reacted instantly, unfazed by the green sparks shot from Evelyns wand, reflcting it with a shield. "Stupefy" she shot the stunning spell directly at Evelyn.

Evelyn rebutted, blocking the stun with the wave of her wand. "Brachiabindo", she watched as Astrea became trapped, barely able to move herself, let alone her wand.

Astrea growled, "Emancipare", she broke free, shaking her head to compose herself. She looked at Evelyn with a snarl, pointing her wand at the dancing flames in the fireplace "Engorgio," the flames doubled inside, the roaring heat causing beads of sweat to form on both their faces. Without a word, Astrea lifted the flames with her wand, sending them soaring at Evelyn.

Evelyn didn't have time to think, she jumped out of the way, falling to the ground with a groan as she felt the flames on her skin. Jumping to her feet, she readied her wand, "Aqua Eructo." Water streamed from the tip of her wand, extinguishing the flames beore she lifted her want to Astrea and the stream quickly became an erruption, moving with such force Astrea could barely keep her footing. 

Water fell all aound her, imprisoning her, "Glacius," she called out, freezing the stream of water shooting from Evelyn's wand. Pointing her wand at the icy prison she yelled out, "Bombarda", the ice shattered in an instant, colliding with the hard-wood floors and sliding towards Evelyn.

Evelyn looked down at the sharp ice at her feet with a grin, "Alarte Ascendare," she called out, watching as the ice rose up above her, floating towards, hovering over her head for a moment before dropping onto her.

Astrea screeched as the sharp ice collided with her body, "you bitch." She wiped off the bloodied ice shards from her body, scowling at Evelyn. "Avis," she waved her wand, creating a flock of birds around her, "Oppungo." The bird flew towards Evelyn with a loud blast.

Evelyn scoffed at he birds powering towards her, deflecting them without a second thought and sending them soaring back towards Astrea.

Astrea quickly fended off the birds, waving her wand violently as each one charged at her. She looked up at the floating candles above her, "Expluso!" She yelled, and the candles shattered, pieces of them falling across the hall, lighting little fires everywhere.

Evelyn jumped up, moving out of the way of the falling candles and brandishing her wand, "Aqua Eructo." She pointed at the fires, dousing each one with the water streaming from her wand.

Before each fire had been smothered, Astrea whipped out her wand, "Engorgio." She watched manically as the fire expanded, trapped Evelyn in the corner of the room.

Evelyn stepped backwards, grimacing as the fire touched her skin, "Diminuendo!" She screamed, shrinking down the fire again. Evelyn sighed, taking a moment to take in her surroundings, looking for her next move. When she saw it, she smiled, "Finestra", a small bean of silver light shot out of her wand, colliding with the window behind Astrea, shattering it upon contact.

Astrea turned to look at the shattered window, her mouth open. "How embarassing." She turned back to Evelyn, "Flipe-"

Evelyn cut her off, beating her to it  "Flipendo." Astrea shot backwards, falling through the shattered window, "not so embarassing now, is it?" She smiled, turning to face her audience, "Astrea left the grounds," she pointed to the astonished Astrea who sat in the broken window. "Surely I win?"

"Interesting." Tom turned to look at Abraxas and Lucius, "what do we think?"

Lucius stayed silent, looking to his father. "Astrea did leave the room...."

"But she didn't quit," Astrea rose from the bed of broken glass, wand poised, "the duel doesn't end until one cannot continue." She stepped through the window, the glass crushing under her weight, "Expelliarmus."

Evelyn deflected the spell, rapidly turning back to face Astrea.

"Expelliarmus."

"Stupefy" 

Evelyn shot backwards into the wall with a groan. "Baubillious!" She called out as she stood up, clutching her side with her free hand.

But Astrea was too quick, "Verdillious!"

Their spells collided like a cannon blast, the green and white lights blending together in one blinding glow. Evelyn felt the pain in her side groing stronger, but she had to hold on, Astrea too was wounded, it was now just who could outlast the other. 

For what felt like hours, the colours remained entangled, until for one moment, for a split second, Astrea faltered, flying backwards into the ground with a thud, unconscious.

"I win."  Evelyn said, breathless, before collapsing to the floor with a grin.