Chapter 1

Dahlia

  "I wish I could fuck you right now."

  I turned my head and stared in horror as I took in the sight laying before me. My Indian family watching a romance movie, filled with aggressive sex scenes.

  My parents had always been strict and organized, never letting me or my sister have a boyfriend before the age of 18. Aarushi and I snuck out of the house weekly to go to parties, meet with friends and hookup with boys while my parents were fast asleep in their bedroom thinking they have the perfect holy daughters.

  I didn't regret sneaking out. I wanted to live my teenage years to the fullest and my parents never liked the idea of my sister and I having boyfriends. Yet here I was, listening to my parents watching a movie where the male character just declared he wanted to have sex with the female character. If life wasn't full of surprises, I don't know what was.

  Aarushi must've seen the look on my face, since she also turned and stared in horror. My sister was 3 years older than me, at the age of 29. Our parents always pressured her into getting married, but Aarushi had other plans. She wanted to become a dentist. We both went to The University of Southern California, graduating at the age of 23. I had a degree in marketing, and my only source of income was brand deals and social media. My sister majored in Biomedical Sciences, in which she hoped she could use to become a dentist.

  I excused myself to the restroom and went to check my phone. I wouldn't tell anyone, but I was secretly trying to get a job. I didn't want anyones hopes to get up just for them to shatter. I applied to 3 companies as an administrative assistant, and hoped I would get one of them.

  I checked my Emails to see one new Email. I skimmed through it and only comprehended one sentence: We are sorry to inform you that your characteristics and qualities do not meet our standards and requirements.

  One sentence, 18 words, 1 meaning: I got rejected. I didn't get the job.

  I tried thinking of positive thoughts. Maybe this brand wasn't for me. Maybe there's another opportunity out there waiting for me.

  I was surprised at how high I had gotten my hopes up, I usually never had any standards or expectations. Maybe a part of me deeply wanted to be accepted to finally be able to feel complete. I washed my hands longer than I was supposed to, and cleaned my hands with a towel more aggressively than I was supposed to. I stared in the mirror, looking back was an expression of disappointment. Disapproval. Disgust. How could I be such a failure?

  While I was thinking of every negative thought about me, my phone flashed with a notification. I checked to see it was an Email notification.

I tried not to get my hopes up.

  I typed in my passcode, opened my Email app, and checked the new notification.

  I wasn't sure if I was reading right, so I read it again and again until those words were the only words engraved in my brain.

  We are happy to inform you that you got accepted at working as an Administrative Assistant at Orlando Headquarters. We will get back with you soon to provide you with all the details.

It wasn't until I felt wetness on my lips that I realized I was crying. My whole life, I've always felt like a failure. A disappointment. A disgusting human being. And I know my parents won't show it, but they expected me to be better. To have a job outside of social media.

  I was sobbing and crying and hyperventilating for half an hour until I heard the faint knock on the bathroom door. I gave a small sound gesturing them to come inside, and it was then that I saw a 5 foot 10 woman with long legs, lushous curves, beautiful long ginger hair in Dutch braids and the most gorgeous pair of blue eyes I'd ever seen. It took me a while to focus on who the figure was, and I stilled when I realized it was my sister.

  Aarushi had always been the prettier one. My parents would never admit it but they knew. Everyone did. She always got the most compliments, most gifts, most attraction from boys and the most attention.

  She kneeled down infront of me and pulled me in for a hug.

  Just by looking at her face, I knew she understood what I was thinking.

  I sank into her embrace, with no thoughts running my mind.