Chapter 9: She Works for MECH

Day 6.

It was a Saturday.

Optimus had already picked her up.

She was in their base, waiting. Just waiting.

It seemed that everyone was just waiting for something to happen these days.

Victoria sat on the couch, looking perfectly calm, but her heart was beating rapidly. Her unbandaged fingers twitched in anticipation. Her throat was dry.

Tell them.

Victoria breathed deeply.

Don't tell them.

She closed her eyes.

Just wait.

It'll all be over soon.

The sound of Agent Fowler calling the base came onto the monitor. Victoria glanced up as his face was projected onto the screen. He was in his helicopter, a panicked look on his face.

"PRIME!" Fowler yelled. "EVACUATE THE BASE!"

Victoria's eyes shot open.

"IT'S VICTORIA!" He shouted. "SHE'S WORKING FOR MECH!"

Immediately, Victoria shot to her feet and everyone's attention turned to her.

HOW THE HELL DID HE FIND OUT!?

"Victoria?" Raf asked quietly, his eyes wide.

"YOU DON'T HAVE LONG!" Fowler told them. "THEY'RE ON THEIR WAY! GET OUT NOW!"

Victoria's expression slipped into emotionlessness and she pulled a gun out of her jacket, swinging it around and shooting the monitor before pointing it directly at Miko's face.

"Nobody is going anywhere." Red ordered loudly.

"You dare point a gun at me!?" Miko demanded, standing up angrily. "And you're working for MECH!?"

"Don't move." Red stated. "I will shoot you."

"Victoria, don't do this." Optimus stepped forward. "You can still change sides. You don't have to work for MECH."

Red's gun shifted toward Miko's leg for the smallest second and a bang echoed through the base. Miko screamed, falling over. Red readjusted her gun back to Miko's head as Jack rushed to the girl's aid.

"I said, don't move." Red told them darkly. "And while you're at it, don't speak either. Miko can survive that wound if MECH gets here before I shoot her again."

The Autobots all glanced at each other silently. Raf was staring at Red in horror, his eyes wide and tears leaking down his face. He was frozen in terror.

Red avoided eye contact.

There were a few minutes of silence in which Red and Optimus maintained direct eye contact.

A small thud was heard on the roof of the base. The realization hit both Optimus and Red at the same time.

Agent Fowler was here.

Red glared at Optimus. "Don't try anything."

The elevator's creaky wires were heard as it lowered. Red's eyes didn't look away from Optimus until the last second when it swung open and Fowler appear.

Red immediately moved her gun, pointing it at the agent, who hadn't yet comprehended the scene in front of him. Optimus lunged forward, stepping between Red's lethal weapon and Agent Fowler.

The bullet pinged off of him harmlessly and Red turned the gun back toward Miko, but Optimus moved faster. His hand reached out, snatching Red up.

She snarled, her arms pinned to her sides. "You're already screwed, Optimus! Don't make this harder than it has to be."