6. Follow Through With Your Promises

With his cold tone that the crown-prince couldn’t rival in his best efforts, and an expression on his face that looks like it had been carved out on the surface of never-melting ice, the Emperor might look calm to an outside observer, but every child can sense their parent’s anger, and prince Theseus is not an exception. Back and shoulders tense to prevent him from outwardly flinching, he obediently ducks his head and says: “As you wish, Your Majesty.”

Following the Emperor deeper into the gardens, Tommy feels eyes watching his every step. Where Wilbur outwardly sneers him, shoving his hands into his pockets with a smirk, the noble guests are more discreet about it. Glances from behind folding fans, whispers and murmurs briefly exchanged ear-to-ear – Tommy is used to these like to the gold tilt of furniture in the palace and howl of the winds in winter chimneys, so Tubbo’s green eyes anxiously flickering over to him stands out in stark contrast.

For a second, Tubbo looks guilty. His hands grip the table cloth as if trying to prevent him from leaping to his feet. Tommy wonders what Tubbo could be feeling guilty of, but then they round a line of trees and the pavilion hides away from their sight, and he is abruptly shoved back to reality.

The Emperor keeps walking. Every step he takes on a gravel path is a painful stab to Tommy’s ears. The crown-prince does not dare to stop, however, keeping up with his father’s pace despite how dread threatens to make him freeze.

"I heard about the incident that happened the other day,” the Emperor says. “Do you have an explanation for your behavior?”

Tommy’s hands, kept firmly to his sides, clench hard, nails digging into his palms. He doesn’t have an explanation – not the one that would satisfy the Emperor, at least. If only Wilbur didn’t take credit for his tea party, he could’ve said that he was trying to make up for insulting Ranboo- but Wilbur did, and Tommy has no other choice but to quiver weakly from anger surging in his veins.

"Don't we have anything more important to talk about, Your Majesty?” he says, irritation sipping into his voice.

“Do not change the topic, Theseus,” the Emperor says. The way he pronounces Tommy’s name makes his heart sink into his stomach. “I made it crystal-clear to you that Ranboo is under my protection. The only thing I requested is that you be kind and patient with him. Now I see that it was too much to ask of you.”

Tommy grits his teeth. “I'm trying my hardest.”

“No, you’re not,” the Emperor snaps. “You could’ve just ignored Ranboo, if it was that hard for you to keep your pride in check. Instead, you publicly humiliated him and brought him to the verge of tears.”

The guilt, curled up deep inside Tommy’s chest, stirs up uncomfortably. “I didn’t mean to, but I can’t fulfill my duties if you and Wilbur constantly bring Ranboo up-”

The Emperor turns around suddenly. Tommy fights the urge to physically recoil from the glare thrown his way. "I wouldn't have to bring him up if you could be compassionate for once!”

Tommy shrinks back. “Compassionate?” he asks weakly.

“You’re the crown-prince, and Ranboo is just a poor boy with no parents or friends to fend for him. Don’t you have the slightest ounce of sympathy?”

Tommy falters. He never has seen his father this furious before. The Emperor has snapped at him a few times in the past, but he doesn’t remember ever outwardly getting shouted at. His father’s ignorance is a coin of two sides: Tommy never got praised, but he never got scolded, either.

Tommy could put up with Wilbur’s occasional naggings, could pretend not to see Tubbo’s strained behavior and concerned gazes. The Emperor’s indifference was a bliss – for that it means that he’s good , that his father has nothing to rebuke him for. Tommy was happy , until Ranboo had wriggled his way into the Imperial palace.