9. But Now I'm A Shadow

“I find it ridiculous that you’re trying to avoid me and yet the library is the first place you decide to hide in,” Tommy says, leaning against a bookshelf. 

Afternoon sunlight flows in through large, arch-shaped windows. Techno sits on one of the couches placed in the reading section of the library, an opened book on his knees, and rectangle-shaped glasses hanging loosely on his nose. The general doesn’t do as much as raise his head in response to Tommy’s words. Tommy was willing to bet that Techno knew he was coming from far off.  

“I’d rather call it discreetly eschewing a topic of personal discomfort,” Techno says. 

Tommy huffs. Techno is anything but discreet, at least when it comes to social interactions. If he doesn’t like someone, it’ll show. If he avoids talking about a certain topic, he’ll try to joke his way out of the conversation in the most blatant way possible. That’s what happened yesterday, when Tommy tried to bring up the state of border territories during their shared lunch. 

“I just remembered that I need to attend to Carl,” Techno had said, even though Tommy was literally there to watch him fuss around his horse less than an hour ago. “It’s an emergency.”

Techno’s cover was blown off before it appeared in the first place. Tommy decided not to push him yet then, but they had to talk about it at some point. He technically could request Techno’s full written report from the Emperor – but he was curious about the reasoning of his brother’s weird behavior.

Now, Techno doesn’t try to dismiss himself with another ridiculous excuse. Tommy’s presence is ignored altogether up until he slides into an armchair next to Techno and unceremoniously snatches his book.

“Excuse me?” Techno grunts, finally turning his attention to Tommy. “I just got to the most interesting part.”

“You’ve read everything in this library at least twice, anyway,” Tommy glances at the book’s cover, then at the thick tomes stacked on a table to Techno’s right. “Didn’t think I’d ever see the day to hear you call politics interesting.”

Techno hums out an agreement. “I’m amazing at politics, actually. You should start fearing for your position, Imperial prince.”

Tommy feels like rolling his eyes. His gaze runs along the lines of the book and skids to a halt when he sees a dragon curled up into a ring in the corner of the page. The emblem of Esempi’s royal family. “Any particular reason as to why you took interest in our neighbors’ affairs all of a sudden?”

“Just revising,” Techno says, but Tommy feels like he has tugged at the right thread. 

“Does it have something to do with why you refuse to talk to me about your trip? Have there been more skirmishes along the borders than usual?” Tommy’s tone is nothing if not demanding. He sounds rushed, too. The way Techno’s brows move, rising up to his forehead, makes Tommy realize he started frowning. 

He fixes his expression in an instant, but Techno’s not looking at him anymore. Deep in thought, he runs a hand down his face and sighs. “No,” he says. “And that is the problem.”

Tommy falls quiet. Techno doesn’t sound like he is joking. “How so?” 

Techno leans over to him and points at a paragraph in the book. “Schlatt’s reign and the follow-up rebellion. A number of countries took advantage of the devastation in the kingdom to salvage the unprotected lands, and the Antarctic empire is not an exception.”

This part of the history happened around the time that Tommy was born. Esempi has made several attempts to negotiate about returning its territories when Queen Caroline came to rule – but without any major success. Tension on the borders is like a field of dry grass, Tommy knows - not once or twice Imperial army’s soldiers had to interfere to prevent it from getting set aflame.