15. Deep Down From Your Soul (Wilbur's Interlude (Part 1)

Techno and Wilbur were born at the time of growing tension between all countries of the continent. Not only the citizens of Esempi were suffering under King Schlatt’s tyranny; the waves of disorder and conflict spread far over the kingdom’s borders. Emperor Philza did his hardest negotiating peace and managing the income of refugees, while Empress Kristin led the diplomatic delegations aimed at building a stronger alliance with the Kingdom of Drywaters. 

In theory, the twin princes were to be under the vigilant care of their servants and tutors; starting their education, learning court manners. In reality, Captain Sparklez - the head of Imperial guards - would have to call a search party for Wilbur and Techno each time they would slip away from adult surveillance and sneak out of the palace through secret passages. 

Little was known about what the Imperial princes looked like; a nicely dressed boy on a crowded street, shyly pinning himself to a wall, wasn’t attracting attention with his status but with the pure white of his skin and short straight hair. Techno glanced at a group of older kids nearby with growing cautiousness; he knew that it wouldn’t be any good when one of them approached, a sneer on his lips, and rudely shoved him with his shoulder.

“Look, a ghost!” the kid exclaimed.

Techno staggered back. Shell-shocked, he only ducked his head lower, looking like he wanted to merge with the wall and disappear. The wall, however, wasn’t too keen on helping Techno; he was still very much prominent in broad daylight. Fueled by his lack of reaction, the other kids started chuckling to each other - a sound void of humor, pumped with taunt. A few pointed fingers at him, which made Techno turn away and hug himself tightly. “A freak, he is a freak!”

A loud whistle pierced their ears. A string of sausages flew through the air and landed straight into the first kid’s arms. He looked at it confusedly but broke into a squeal when a bunch of dogs lunged at him, baring their teeth. He whipped around and ran, forgetting to drop the sausages, chased by the barking animals. 

Techno turned around, shoulders slumping in relief, and found Wilbur jumping down from an empty cage, smiling smugly. He tossed the lock over his shoulder and strode up to Techno, slapping a hat on top of his head. 

“Sorry I took a while, I was looking for the perfect fit.”

Techno dragged the hat off to glare at the wide brims, decorated by a giant pink bow and artificial flowers. “...I don’t think it’s going to help me to get bullied less, Will.”

Wilbur’s previous playfulness was gone in an instant; he pressed his lips together and frowned. “Don’t listen to them,” he said. “They are just a bunch of jerks.”

“I don’t know. Maybe I do really look like a freak,” Techno said, raising his hand to look at the sunlight sipping between his spread fingers. “Even the noble kids think so. They won’t say that to my face though.”

WIlbur’s tongue felt thick in his mouth. His hands itched to punch somebody: those street kids, children of courtiers and their parents, too, for insisting on touching Techno’s hair even when the prince clearly was uncomfortable with it. Instead, he slapped his hands over Techno’s forearms; almost automatically, Techno searched his hand and squeezed it back. 

“You are not a freak,” Wilbur said, looking him in the eyes, confident, protective, fierce . “And I don’t want to ever hear you say that again. Let people think whatever they want. We don't need them. We don’t need anybody but each other-”

“And also the servants, maids, cooks, guards, our parents-”

“Mother and Father are not around much anyway, and I could live without the rest,” Wilbur argued. “As long as we are together.”