chapter twenty.

As promised the next day Cassie crossed the street and knocked on Levi's door.
She was nervous and almost didn't go but his late night phone call was burned into her brain.

She took a deep breath and knocked, she was surprised when Levi wasn't the one at the door.

Callum was standing in the doorway wearing only a pair of swim trunks, his blonde hair hanging in his blue eyes. Water running over the ridges of his muscled abdomen.
She chose to stare at his feet, focusing on them instead of the wet muscled wall infront of her.

"I just stopped to see Levi," she said.

"I thought you were the pizza man, come on inside, he's in the pool."

"I can come back," she offered.

"Don't be ridiculous, go."

She scurried passed him following his wet foot prints to the pool out back and found Levi laying on a lounge chair.
She stopped a minute.

He was wearing blue swim trunks but was dry, his dark hair was messed from the light breeze, her body a tan golden color glistening with sweat. He was still the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

"Hey," she called softly.

He immediately sat up turning towards the sound of her voice and she walked to him.

"Cass?" He ventured carefully.

"Yeah, it's me."

He reached out for her but she was inches away, cautiously she lifted her hand and place it in his. He squeezed her hand before pulling her down beside him on the lounger.

"I'm so glad it's you, and you came back."

His voice sounded pained almost like he was on the verge of choking up but she pushed the thought away.

"Of course I came back," she teased.

"I thought I'd ran you off for good," He admitted.

"No."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just...I don't know what I was doing."

"It's okay, Levi. Nobody needs to ever know but us," she promised.

Leaning forward she rested her chin on his strong shoulder, listening to him breathe, feeling the heat of his body warming hers.

"I don't care about that," He said after a few long minutes.

"Oh," she said lamely.

"I don't give a damn if the whole world saw it. I just don't want you to hate me for it. I need you in my life Cassie...I don't want to complicate that."

She sighed heavily a small piece of her had hoped he did mean their kiss, that maybe it was a turning point for them but clearly that wasn't the case. She just wanted one kiss from him that was meant for her not Carly.

"I love you. You know?" He said.

"I know, I love you too," she admitted. It stung a little that she meant it more than he did.

"No, Cass I really do. You're my best friend, ever. I have guys on the football team but it's not like it is with you. They don't understand me. My parents they give me so much pressure they fight, Carly...has been...I don't know screwing with my head. I have to completely rethink my life."

"I'm sorry. Levi, I didn't know you were struggling."

"That's it, I dont...not with you. My whole life I've felt like I'm suffocating under everyone's expectations and you...you're my air."

She took a shaky breath and the cleared her throat.

"Levi, there's something I have to tell you.'

"Okay."

"It's about Carly and...me..."

"Hey guys! The pizza is here!" Cal called from the doors leading into the kitchen.

"Oh, do you wanna stay for lunch?" Levi asked, standing.

"Yeah, sure."

He smiled and walked towards the house Cassie took a minute, wiping a tear from her cheek she took a deep, quliping breath and then followed him into the kitchen.

Levi was seated at the small island and Cal was digging in the fridge for soda. She took a seat next to Levi.

"I'm not interrupting your guys day am I?" She asked.

"Nah, not really." Callum said producing 3 cans of root beer.

"Cal, is having girl problems," Levi said.

"Oh? I didn't know you were seeing someone." Cassie said opening her soda and then Levi's.

"It's, kind of new...she...wants me to meet her parents but, I don't know I don't think it's gonna go well. So I thought I'd consult the master."

Callum motioned at Levi before Flipping open the pizza and sliding some slices onto some plates.

"You think he's the master?" She teased.

"Well, you parents love him." Cal pointed out.

"My mom loves everyone," Cassie teased.

Callum laughed and she bit back a smile, she liked when he laughed and Levi seemed to be better now that he had some friends around other than herself.

After lunch she decided to head out and give the guys time to do whatever guys did alone.

She had just left when Callum spoke, placing a plate in the sink.

"So, uh, it's not my business but....what's going on? With you and Cassie?"

"She's my best friend," Levi replied.

"Okay, sure but she's always been your best friend and I don't remember her being around so much, I don't remember you looking at her the way you have been all day. "

"That's because I'm not looking at her, I can't see. Remember?"

"Yeah, okay, if that's what you want to believe."

Callum tosses the empty root beer cans in the trash and Levi sighed.

"Alright. Come on...I know you want to say more."

"I just....like seeing you happy with someone who cares about you, Carly was great believe me but...I always thought you and Cassie....were kind of the real deal," Callum said with a shrug.

"Based on what?"

"I don't know."

"To be honest I thought maybe the reason you've been around so much is because of her."

"No, she's not my type."

"Tell me what's your new girl like?" Levi asked.

"Perfect," Callum said bluntly.

"That was fast," Levi said with a laugh.

"When you know you."

"You were the biggest player in high-school you dated more chick's than the entire football team combined. Why is this one so special?"

"They're not like the rest, so tell me when I say perfect...who is the first person who comes to your mind?"

"Come on man, drop it," Levi turned on the stool ready to leave the kitchen.

"Alright I'll drop it...you don't have to answer, I think we both know it wasn't Carly."

Callum finished wiping the counter off and then the paper towel in the garbage, Levi froze in the doorway to the living room for just a second then exited the kitchen.