chapter twnety one.

"So, when do I get to meet this guy?" Cassie asked.

"Um...I don't know," Jared replied.

She was laying on his kind size bed scrolling through channels on his way too big TV.

Jared was in the small adjoining bathroom, struggling with a tie.

"You know how to tie a tie, what's really bothering you?" She asked Climbing off the bed and walking to the bathroom.

She leaned on the bathroom door frame and he paused running a hard through his brown hair.

"I just....this is a big step, dinner out at a fancy restaurant."

"Where are you going?"

"Um the delmont, it's two towns over, the menu is pricey but he's insisting he pays for it."

"So he's rich?" She teased adding the clue to her list.

"Hes...Okay off. I wouldn't say rich."

"Come on Jared, you've never kept a secret from me before."

"I know, its...it's different this time. I think hes....you know the one. Or at least the first big one and I just want time with him alone before it's common knowledge."

"Okay, but....he's not making you keep it a secret, is he?" She asked picking at a piece of paint that was spilled on the white sink.

"No....he's not Chad, that was a long time ago."

"Okay."

Jared's first boyfriend after coming out was a boy named Chad he wasn't out yet and made Jared promise to keep it a secret and when word got around he humiliated Jared in the cafeteria by claiming he slept over and Jared came onto him and he left. All of it was a lie but Callum tormented Chad until he was forced to change schools and then he turned to Jared.

"I love you, I know you don't hear that often from...people but I do. I love you and I want you to have someone who is as proud of you as I am." She said.

"I love you to sis, come here."

He opened his arms for a hug and she leaned in giving him one just as there was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Come in," Jared called still fidgeting with his tie.

His dad stepped into the bedroom and Cassie moved to sit on the edge of the tub to Jared's left giving his dad the doorway to Jared's left.

"You....going out?" His dad asked.

"Uhhu."

"With..Cassie or?"

"With my boyfriend dad, is that okay?" Jared asked his tone snappy as he grew more frustrated with his tie.

"I um...I thought maybe we could get a pizza and watch some TV but...thats okay," his dad said watching him.

Jared sighed as he let go of both ends of the tie. His dad stepped forward carefully taking Jared's shoulder he turned his son towards him and wordlessly did the tie himself. When he pulled it snug he gave Jared a pat on the arm.

"Thanks, dad."

"Don't be out too late? Okay?"

"I wont."

"Have fun, goodnight Cassandra," his dad offered before leaving and closing the bedroom door behind him.

"You look good," Cassie offered.

"Thanks."

"I'm going to go, you should leave soon. Promise me no drinking and you will text when you get home."

"I promise," Jared picked up a comb and hairspray turning to his hair.

"Jared?" She paused at the bathroom door.

"Yeah?"

"Try and cut your dad some slack okay? I think he's trying."

"I know he is." Jared said softly.

She gave him a small smile then left him alone. Climbing down the stairs she saw his dad alone in the living room a basketball game was on TV.

"Goodnight," she called as she walked to the door.

"He's okay? Right? Jared...the guy he is seeing...he's okay? He wont...hurt him or anything?" His dad asked without looking at her.

"Jared is smart, he won't fall for someone who doesn't deserve him."

"He won't tell me about them but I know there have been others. They've hurt him, and I can't so anything because he doesn't tell me. I know I'm not great at being a single dad but I love my son."

"He's going to be okay," she promised.

"You have a goodnight Cassie," He said dismissing her.

She didn't reply as she exited the tall house. She climbed into the car and sat there a moment a part of her wanted to follow Jared and see who it was he was meeting.

In the end she went home, betraying her best friend was one more problem she didn't need right now.