chapter eleven.

The sport movie played first, your average high school movie. The quarterback who's dream was to play pro-ball, the team of misfits nobody believed in that winds up winning the entire championship based solely on their friendship.
Cliche', overdone, typical, predictable and boring.

As the end credit rolled and the lights lit up the field so people could find their way to the bathrooms and snack stand Cassie began spreading out the thick blankets and pillows into the hatch of her dads car.
She made a makeshift bed that would be more comfortable than their seats and began unpacking snacks.

Her phone buzzed next to her just as she and Levi began to settle in. She glanced at it and saw a number she didn't recognize.

"Jared?" Levi guessed as he dug through the snacks clearly trying to pick out something in particular.

"No, I don't know this number."

"Read it to me."

She rattled off the phone number and then opened the message.

"How is he?" The message read.

"It's a familiar number," Levi said

She chewed her bottom lip as she texted back a quick reply.

"Who is this?"

"Look to the left" came a reply.

Glancing to her left she saw Cal standing near his truck, he waved when she saw him.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, need anything from the snack stand?" She offered.

"Nah. But did you pack me sunchips?" He questioned.

She smiled and grabbed the first bag be had picked up then set down and handed them to him. He opened the bag as she slid from the back of the car walking to Cals truck.

"Hey, sorry if I spooked ya with my text," he said.

"No, it's fine. How did you get my number?" She asked.

"Jared gave it to me." He motioned behind him a few spaces where Jared's car sat empty.

She gave a small nod then glanced in his truck that was also empty.

"Are you here alone?" She asked.

"No."

She glanced around and saw a few people still lined at the snack stand and assumed his date was probably there.

"How is Levi?" He asked.

"Good, lonely. I think me and Jared are the only ones who even bother with him. So much for that group mentality they teach you in football."

"Hey, it's not like that. We aren't just blowing him off." Cal said.

"Really? Did anyone tell him that?"

"Look, it's hard....to see him like that to be around him.....you know? I got a scholarship too....that could have been me who lost it all because some dipshit wasn't paying attention."

Callum shoved his hands in his varsity jacket pockets and kicked a rock in front of him. Clearly feeling guilty for neglecting one of his best friends.

"It is hard but imagine what its like for him." She said in a softer tone.

"I'm having a party in a few weeks....I'll personally bring him."

She gave a small nod and smile glancing back at Levi. He was sitting alone in her car and while he would normally be the life of the drive ins with girls flocking all over him this time he was alone.

Jared walked up towards the pair giving a small wave to Cal who only managed a small nod in return.

"So, how is the date?" Jared teased.

"Wait, wait, are you and Levi..." Callum trailed off.

"No, it's not a date. How is yours going?" Cassie shot back.

Jared's face immediately turned red and then he shrugged.

"He's uhm......more enthusiastic than I thought."

Callum rolled his eyes and mumbled something under his breath. The lights flashing alerted them the next movie would start soon.

"I better get back," she said quickly.

"Yeah me too," Jared agreed looking to his car where a tall blonde eagerly waved back.

Cassie turned and walked towards her own car finding Levi stretched out in the back reclining against the pillows.

"Room for one more?" She teased.

"For you, always."

She smiled climbing into the car and rocking back next to him as the second movie came on. The female lead rushing to get to work on time and being a clumsy mess for the beginning credits.

As she tried to lose herself in another boring romcom she felt Levi slowly reach over and grip her hand in his, lacing his long fingers with hers.

He must have heard her take a shaky breath cause he froze.

"Uhm.....is...is this okay?" He asked slowly lifting their hands.

"Yeah, yeah fine." She managed.

He gave her hand a little squeeze then lowered it between them and pretended to focus on the movie by staring at the screen even though they both knew he couldn't see it.