Chapter Three

Cassie stood in her bedroom, staring out the window across the street at Levi's house. It had been a full week since his accident and three days since he came home but he hadn't left his house.

"Why don't you go over?" Jared asked from her bed.

"He doesn't want to see me, he wants Carly."

Jared got up and walked to the window with her then he glanced at her and shrugged.

"So, go be Carly."

"What?"

"Hear me out, you're his friend you want to see him. He shouldn't be alone and you know Carly better than anyone, he already thought you were here once..."

"What? No way!"

"Come on Cassie, it's harmless just go see him see how he's doing and then you never have to do it again. Once won't hurt."

"No, he's my friend I don't want to lie. What if Carly finds out?"

She was protesting but in her mind, she was already debating his suggestion. Just one time couldn't hurt, at least then she would know how he was doing and he would get a visit from someone who loved him.

"Who's gonna tell her? she's not home and neither are his parents. He's blind nothing can possibly go wrong."

"If he finds out he will be crushed, plus what if he calls her and asks her about it?"

"You don't have to do it forever, just go over and see how he is. Ten minutes then come right back."

She bit her lower lip glancing at the house across the street, nobody had been over to visit him since he got home. Even all his friends from football were too busy with their summer plans.

"Ten minutes?" She asked.

"Ten minutes."

***********************************************************

She was starting to chicken out as she stood on Levi's front porch, she raised a hand to knock then turned back to her house Jared stood on the front porch giving her a thumbs up.

Taking a deep breath and trying to push down her nervousness she knocked three times on the door.

It took a few minutes for Levi to answer, he was balancing with one crutch, his leg in a walking cast, his other arm was in a sling and he was wearing sunglasses.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me," Cassie said as happily as possible.

He didn't reply and she felt her nerves bubbling to the surface.

"Carly..."She offered timidly.

"You came?" He asked.

"Yeah, of course, I did."

He moved first, grabbing her small frame in his muscular arms and pulling her close, holding her so tight it was almost painful.

She winced, the way he held her felt so desperate and affectionate and she knew it wasn't for her, not really. Carefully she returned his hug and when he pulled away he went for a kiss.

Quickly she turned her head and his lips landed on her blushing cheek, lingering a long minute before pulling away.

"I'm sorry...I thought..."

"I'm just...I don't want to...let's just talk, okay?" She offered, taking his hand in hers.

He seemed to accept that and she assumed that due to their recent break up he wasn't surprised that her sister wouldn't want to kiss him, as they crossed the threshold into his entryway it occurred to her that she knew very little about his relationship with her sister.