11 - texts

(chapter eleven)

     "THERE YOU ARE!" SUSANNAH walked into Cassie's bedroom with a beaming smile, "My little debutante!"

Cassie tried not to let a tear out when she saw Susannah's face, Just act normal, She thought but it was easier said than done. "Here I am!" She weakly chuckled.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're doing this, you'll be great!"

Cassie smiled, "Aw thanks, Sue. I am a little nervous though." She said as she turned around.

"Oh, don't be, you already know most of the girls there anyways." Susannah comforted the girl she considered her first daughter. She wouldn't ever tell anyone (except for Cassie) that Cassie had always been her favorite out of the children. She hated herself for having one but the girl always reminded her of herself and they had such a natural connection.

"True,"

The two of them walked into the kitchen where Susannah broke the news immediately to everyone about Cassie becoming a debutante.

"Wait, what?" Jeremiah said in confusion.

"It's not too late?" Laurel asked.

"Well, it was but I managed to pull a few strings." Susannah wrapped her arm around Cassie.

     CASSIE WALKED INTO THE room the debs and escorts were going to practice dancing in, she immediately found Nora and walked over to her.

"Cass? I didn't know you were a debutante!" Nora said, excitedly. "You just made it a lot more fun."

"I just decided to do it last night," Cassie explained, "Do you have an escort yet?"

"Ugh, no, I can't find anyone I can tolerate enough. Oh, my God, we should go together! It would be so fun!" Nora ranted making Cassie laugh.

"I'll keep that as Plan B, but I would like to try and find my own date first. However, I suppose I could dance with you today for the lesson." Cassie let out a fake disappointed sigh and Nora shoved her shoulder playfully.

"Fine," Nora complied before she realized something, "Oh! I forgot, you never answered my call last night."

Cassie looked at her and realized Nora probably called her when she and Conrad were talking on the dock.

Conrad.

She had forgotten about their talk last night, she woke up and ever since this morning her mind had been clogged by being a debutante.

"Yeah, sorry, I fell asleep early."

"Attention, everyone." Everyone turned to see the dance instructor come in the room with Paige. "Please welcome our debutante waltz instructor, Ms. Covington, all the way from Ms. Covington's School of Ballroom Dance in Newton." The group of debutantes and escorts clapped.