16 - it was the summer

(chapter sixteen)

     CASSIE COULDN'T TAKE IT anymore and she quickly walked out of the room

CASSIE COULDN'T TAKE IT anymore and she quickly walked out of the room. She walked into some random room of the country club that was decorated with paintings, books, and a beautiful wood-burning fireplace.

Cassie sobbed and shoved the decorations that rested on the coffee table off, the breakdown that's been building up ever since she stepped foot out there in front of everyone finally broke through. It isn't fair, she had already almost lost Susannah once, she had already lost her father. She paced the floor, she knew Susannah wouldn't make it. It was rare that it worked the first time. She released another heart wrenching sob and fell to the floor, the tears kept flowing which gave her a headache and blurry vision.

She was glad she did the deb ball, it gave Susannah a chance to see her with a nice guy, dressed up in a beautiful white gown. But it wasn't a happy moment for her, all it did was remind the girl that she would never have the woman she thought of as her second mother, sometimes her first when she was mad at her own mom, at her wedding. All it did was remind her that she wouldn't be able to have her father walk her down the aisle or have a father-daughter dance.

Suddenly, the grieving feeling she had managed to push down had crawled it's way back up. She heard someone enter the room but she didn't look up as she continued to sit on the floor, "Oh, honey,"

Cassie heard her mother's voice and immediately stood up to hug her, "It isn't fair," She cried into her mothers shoulder.

Valerie cradled her daughter who squeezed her as tight as she could, "I know, I know," Valerie wondered how and when her daughter found out about the cancer but decided to wait to ask that question.

Cassie felt like her world was crashing down and it would never come back up, Who was going to leave next? She thought. "God," She pulled back to stand in front of her mother, "It hurts so bad, I can't breathe." She exasperated, "I thought I would never have to feel this way again after dad for... at least, like, fifteen years. She isn't suppose to go yet, Sue's suppose to be at my wedding and-and spoil my kids,"

"I know, sweetie, and she still could,"

"She won't, mom, she won't. We know she isn't going to get much better." She cried and hugged her mom again, Valerie finally allowed herself to release the sob she had wanted to for awhile. She didn't want this to be happening either of course, first her husband and now one of her best friends? It's a sick joke.

The two held each other in their arms before they cleaned themselves up some and walked out of the country club to go home.

EVERYONE SAT AT THE KITCHEN  table, still heartbroken but not focusing on it in that moment. They weren't going to waste one of last precious moments at the Cousins beach house sobbing with each other. Conrad fed Steven a piece of pizza causing Cassie to laugh as she ate some Chinese food. She was so glad that they could still have these moments where they could be carefree with each other, just living in the moment.

After dinner, Conrad and Cassie went out to the beach and walked along it. "Pretty crazy day," Cassie told him and he made a hum of agreement, "Is Sue going to do the trial?"

Conrad broke into a smile, "Yeah, yeah she is, I can't believe she actually said yes." Cassie smiled also and hugged the boy, her hands wrapping around his neck tightly while his were on her waist. "Thank you for being there for me this summer," He whispered into her ear and she smiled against his chest.

"Right back at you," She told him, pulling out of the hug and giving him a gentle kiss on the lips. "I'll always be there for you, Connie," He smiled and rubbed his thumb along her cheek, wiping off a tear that had fallen before he kissed her forehead.

This summer had changed everything for the both of them, Conrad finally let someone into his heart and it felt good. He never wanted to go back, he wanted Cassie with him forever, no matter what and vice versa. Cassie loved this summer, it was so different than what she thought it was going to be. She thought she would be moping and drinking which she did do, but she didn't expect to fall in love with her childhood friend.

The two of them couldn't be more grateful for it to have been the summer.

authors note

i cant believe the book is already done, holy shit

season two needs to come out asap and i better see more of steven and shayla, they need more screentime

anyways, thank u sm for reading my book and giving it a chance, even if u didn't like it <33