Chapter 4

He's drowning.

The water made its way to his mouth, his nose, his throat, his lungs. Rendering him incapable of breathing.

He's freezing.

The cold flowing water slowly and slowly took away his warmth. Struggle as he may, the current only pulled him down further and further.

He's suffering.

His bruises and wounds, new and old, ached at the touch of the icy-dark waters. His new found hope slowly slipped away, as despair took hold.

'Is this it?' he thought, wondering if all those times wasted on that cell will return anew.

He flailed, reached, kicked and even screamed.

'Am I going to fail again?' another thought, as his past mistakes, mishaps and failures, in his mind run amok.

He struggled, to live, to be free.

Yet.

His strength, determination and his will, all left him as he plunged deeper, and deeper.

He moved, slower and slower, until he ceased.

It was over, not only is his consciousness fading, but he has already given up. What's the point?

Yet when he prepared himself to wake up on that all familiar cell, he felt warmth.

On his palm, this warmth caressed his hand that he still held out. With gentle grip, the warmth tightened around the hand.

Another hand perhaps? Who's hand?

He didn't care nor even have the time to ponder, as the hand pulled him up.

Higher and higher and higher, until he saw everything getting brighter. Within sight, he saw the feminine hand holding his.

He wanted to see who's hand was it, yet his body finally decided to shut it's consciousness, understandable as his very being is so close to death.

Eyelids slowly closing, he let himself relax, leaving everything to his saviour.

.
.
.
"I Love You."

...

...

...

Eyes aflutter, Natsuki Subaru started to wake up.

What will greet him? Cobblestone and metal bars? The banks of a river?

No.

"*Cough! Cough!* 4th day of Login Rewards ." he muttered hoarsely, throat still sore from coughing in his sleep perhaps.

He gritted his teeth and covered his face with his right arm. A pointless way of hiding his tears as he realized that he didn't die from drowning.

The boat he rode last night capsized as it flipped and left him behind.

He tried not to sob, but the itch in his throat that made him cough forced that sob out.

There he was, crying/sobbing/coughing on an unfamiliar bed. Not a cry of pain or sadness, but a joyous one that made him smile.

"I see you're awake." A man's voice called out.

Subaru got startled and turned his head towards the source, but his unconfirmed Login Reward panel obstructed his view.

Subaru took a breath, then focused his Cross Hair on the "OK" box.

Once cleared, the man's figure was revealed.