Chapter 5

"It's true that I want mobs coming to me, but this is just..." Subaru didn't continue his words as he sidestepped a wolgarm that pounced at him.

2 days ago, he managed to find a game...a deer.

While still hesitant, he managed to put it down with his pistol. And that is when he discovered something.

His "Inventory" only stores in-game items.

Having not learning any knowledge about preserving meat, Subaru decided to eat what he could at the evening and the morning. And buried the remaining meat.

At this point, he understood two more things.

1. Is that his SP is at 100% when he is fully fed. And 2, almost immediately after he killed the deer, a small yellow bar right below the "Level" on his status appeared and is currently on 29%.

Subaru realized this: why was his SP bar so low when he's hungry?

If you think about it, this leveling system is almost, if not, a literal existing game's system.

It made him consider one thing.

The player and the character.

Was he the player? Or the character.

He himself is the one who's moving, but the fact that he sees the status panel only gives him a theory.

He is both.

But whether that theory is true or even an inkling of it, he has no other evidence to back his theories. He hasn't even heard or seen a game with similar styles on Earth.

But whether or not it is, he needs to know more regardless.

Speaking of the game, if he plays in his mind how the game with this system works, Subaru could understand the concept of such an immersive competitive game. One that requires tactics, skills and higher level.

His pistol, did so much damage that it completely left a fist sized hole on the deer's head.

And it still wasn't upgraded yet, as it also requires credits.

What does that mean? Simple.

It means upgraded suits has to be damaged by a stronger force, or in this case, an upgraded gun/melee. And not to mention, the Leveling also does something.

What that is? He needs to level up to know.

And in the present day, his chance to level up when a pack of wolgarms appeared. The problem is, he's utterly outnumbered.

And his Cloaking, did absolutely nothing as they just sniffed the miasma emanating from him.

Three wolgarms pounced next after he dodged one.

Thinking fast, Subaru whipped out his energy sword, still hesitant to use the gun.

He swiped right, decapitating one on the far right, whilst managing to block an incoming bite with his armored left hand.

Completely missing the third one.

Although armored, Subaru grunted as he felt fangs trying to pierce his suited leg.

Upgrading his suit to level 3 was a great idea. Despite how expensive it is.

With his free fight hand, he cut the one still latching on his left arm.

The wolgarm dropped unceremoniously, but before Subaru can slice the one on his legs, he felt weight behind him push him down.

That action made him let go of the now disengaged energy sword.