LETTERS XIII

"A coffee and a toast!" Madelyn chimed putting the order on the table of the customer who smiled up at her warmly. She turned around after bowing slightly going back to the counter.

Its been three months since she graduated Hogwarts and her life took a turn. In order to pursue her actual career, she needed to take up the job at the cafe near her home. As her family was not that financially sufficient, she decided to earn for herself.

And it came out to be such a good decision, as she was enjoying her life while doing her job. It provided her better than expected, it kept her busy, she daily met new people and even made new friends of different age groups, it was warm and exciting.

The cafe owner, Josephine, a fifty year old single lady, adored Madelyn for her hardworking spirits and amiable nature with the customers. Along with the salary, Josephine gave her some valueable life tips which Madelyn was going to remember whole her life.

In short, her boring life, was not so boring now. It was quiet enjoyable.

"Take a break dear, I'll cover up for you." Josephine smiled coming behind Madelyn, telling her to rest as she had been constantly working since morning because the cafe was actually very crowded on weekends.

"Its okay, Jo, I'll take a break when Issa comes," Madelyn tilted her head with a smile. Alyssa returned from Greece a month ago from her hometown and the two girls had been catching up every weekend, with Alyssa telling Greece tales to Madelyn and Madelyn listening to them with utter enthusiasm.

Alyssa was the only one, Madelyn had stayed in touch with after graduating. It was amazing in her opnion, feeling grateful and blessed that she did make an everlasting friendship over the course of seven years, but also quiet saddening if you ask her. Other than Alyssa, nobody even recognised her.

Several people from her year came to the cafe occasionally but none of them happened to realise it was her. She did feel bad on such days. But it was alright, not everyone stays and remembers. Same with him. She would tell herself with a weak smile.

After several hours, Madelyn was cheered up when Alyssa stepped in the cafe. Both girls squealed and hug as if meeting each other after ages.

"This is the best place, I swear." Alyssa moaned after taking a sip of coffee made by Madelyn as she peered out of the glass, the view of the city outside was beautiful.

"So, whats up?" Madelyn smiled propping her elbows on the table. Alyssa quickly began with telling her each and every detail about the weekly wizard fashion magazine, in which her name was mentioned as one of the novices for the upcoming event of a really famous fashion designer in the wizarding world.

Madelyn loved how colorful Alyssa's life was, "That's great, Issa!"

"Ofcourse it is," Alyssa grinned holding the coffee mug again as her vibrant nails shined on the fingers wrapped around it, she took a sip and spoke up again, "Do you remember, Remus Lupin?"

That took Madelyn off guard but she nodded, "Who wouldn't?"

"I met him yesterday," Alyssa said with a spark in her eyes,"I was waiting by the bus stand when he came, at first I thought he wont recognise me but he did and we talked for like fifteen minutes, I asked him if he'd like to chat and have coffee somewhere, he agreed and now I am coming here again tomorrow with him!"

Madelyn stared at her wide eyed, that was actually very astonishing. She closed her wide gape mouth, "Um- wow."

"I know its a bit shocking," Alyssa said suddenly her smile fading a bit as she stared at Madelyn a little seriously, "Mads, there's something that I never told you about, please dont be mad at me."

"Why would I be mad at you?" Madelyn laughed softly waiting for whatever Alyssa was about to tell, "What is it?"

"I liked Remus when we were at Hogwarts."

Now Madelyn was flabbergasted. Sure she was a quiet girl who minded her own business all the time in school but did she really miss out that part of her best friend's life?

"What?!" As much as Madelyn didnt want to sound like that, but she did, "How come I dont know about this?"

"Because I was so adamant at hiding it." Alyssa affirmed looking all guilty, "I know you have been my best friend for whole these seven years and I shouldnt have hidden it from you, but it was something I was maybe not so proud of? I dont know, I just didnt like the idea of liking Remus, because of those three chits he tagged along with. But as I am seeing him tomorrow and I am seeing you today, I couldnt hide it anymore from you. You are my best friend you deserve to know it all."

It felt like Madelyn's heart was being crushed. She had also been hiding a similar thing from her best friend, in fact it was even worse knowing what she had been doing all the time.

"Its great, Issa and dont worry I am not mad at all, infact I have no right to be mad," Madelyn said smiling sadly but soon it faded away, "There's something that I didnt tell you either."

The next half an hour went by Madelyn telling Alyssa everything that had happened between her and Sirius, the diary thing, they went on an unplanned date, the time spent after he knew her identity, and how they didnt even meet to say goodbye to each other on the last day. She told her everything not minding if Alyssa would blast her with thousands of questions and might even be angry on her for what she did without even telling her. In the end, after Madelyn finished telling everything, Alyssa was left baffled.

"You havent talked to him since graduation?" Alyssa asked still trying to process everything transpired.

Madelyn shook her head. Alyssa didnt like the response, "Do you still have that diary?"

"Probably," Madelyn shrugged, "Must be in my old books box, why?"

"You dont use that diary now?" Alyssa's asked again, Madelyn chuckled nervously, "No, why would I use that? He must probably have throw it away too."

"When was the last time you checked it?" Alyssa's questions werent ending. When Madelyn was unable to give an answer, Alyssa groaned, "Gosh, Mady! What if he had written to you after you too couldnt even meet on the last day? How could you not check it?"

"No, Issa, I am sure he hasn't." Madelyn assured. Alyssa shook her head, "Have you checked it? No. You will go home and straight away check the diary and immediately owl me."

"Issa, its not that big deal—" Madelyn tried to wave it off nervously, but got interrupted. "Ofcourse it is, I cant imagine you have been doing this amazing diary thing all along and I never knew, its all so sweet and romantic, how can you just cut him off like that? Just check the diary once for me, I am sure he must have written to you."

"Sure." Madelyn lied with a roll of eyes.

Do you think Sirius must have written anything?

Please Vote and Comment!🤍
<333