LETTERS XV

Madelyn's breath hitched on hearing her name being called from behind and she turned briskly to see none other than Sirius Black standing there.

Shocked.

It was clear he didnt expect her to see her. The look his eyes were holding was just too intricate to decipher. It was an unexpected happiness, that clouded him suddenly. She was there.

Warmth and bliss spread across her chest on seeing him standing there. It was only three months but felt like an eternity when she last saw him.

Both of them stepped moving towards each other, in an shocked, disbelieving and unblinking manner. 

"Hi," He breathed out, still not believing he was seeing her. She chuckled from her heart, "Hi."

"You came?" His lips tugged up, and her eyes glistened as she nodded, "I did."

"But I am too late, aren't I?" She chuckled not knowing why was she starting to feel so welled up. He shook his head with a broad smile, "You came, that's all that matters."

Was it a dream?

Probably yes. The environment around them, the serenity and beautiful lighting effect of the setting sun at such a beautiful place when the two of them stared at each other longingly experiencing bliss. 

Yes it was a dream, because she couldnt even comprehend what was she feeling at the moment. Why was she feeling like that?

"You read the letter?" He asked and she nodded, "I thought you must have thrown the diary, so I never opened mine, but last night I did and now I am here."

"I will never throw that." He said with a genuine look shining in his eyes.

"Ofcourse you wont," She laughed softly along with him. The two settled on the same bench she was sitting earlier.

A few moments passed silently, before she began looking up at the setting sun, "So you wanted to say goodbye?"

"Now I dont." He said staring ahead, while she turned to look at him not expecting to hear that. A small smile tug at her lips. "Me too."

She avoided his eyes after saying that, and asked, "So how have you been?"  

The two talked getting to know about each other's present lives, watching the sun go down. It was peaceful there. She loved the place. Having him beside her was the massive bonus.

"Can I ask you something?" She asked hesitantly, he hummed and she contemplated how to form the question she was about to ask without sounding absurd.

"Why did you— why did you care if we got to say goodbye or not?" She asked without looking up at him fearing his answer.

"Can I ask you something?" He questioned back and she looked up at him, he continued nevertheless, "Why did you come here?"

"Answer my question first." She said with a hint of playfulness in her tone.

He smiled relaxing his shoulder slightly, "Because I didnt want 'it' to end like that."

"Oh," She nodded, "End what?"

"Answer my question now." He said in the same tone as her. She resisted the smile to grow on her face, "Because I wanted to meet you."

He nodded, "I didnt want it to end what started between us, the diary thing, writting letters to each other, I wanted to talk to you more and more. And didnt like it when we both left the station on the last day knowing we wont meet again maybe."

Her heart swelled up with guilt. She was the one who left first. Was it her fault? Yes maybe...

"I am sorry, I put the diary away I thought it was of no use now because you might have lost interest or just wouldnt want to talk." She said honestly not minding if she sounded stupid and not so like herself.