i miss those long, hot summer nights

a/n: what is going on. TWO posts in one day am i insane . sorry kings they're just too gay

dedicated to anna!! you're absolutely lovely king i hope u enjoy it :D

Louis loves it when the sun shines on Harry's curls.

They sparkle, not dissimilar to topaz, glittering under the sun whilst simultaneously rich like molasses. They swirl, and frame Harry's face beautifully, whether that be his short hair from back when they met back when they were teenagers, or now, in their early adult life, where Harry's hair has grown long, flowing down his neck and to his shoulders. They're luscious, they're perfect, and Louis spends more time than he'll admit carding through them, running his fingers along the silky strands, untangling the little knots that'll occasionally form, while Harry lies on his lap, blissfully unaware of the world around him.

They're at a picnic today, surrounded by daisies, and Harry's hair is doing the exact thing that Louis loves. There's a slight breeze, ruffling Harry's hair slightly as he sits, admiring the view. It's such an ethereal thing to witness, and Louis can't believe he gets to see this part of Harry; this unabashed, genuinely joyful part of him that the big crowds rarely get to lay their hands on. It's something Louis can't help but feel incredibly thankful for every single day.

"Harry."

"Hm?" Harry hums, turning towards him, and Louis feels his heart twist painfully at the gentle smile that has planted itself on Harry's lips. Harry looks so delicate, so gentle, like the petals of a flower, and Louis wants to melt.

"C'mere," Louis says softly, watching as Harry gets up, carefully avoiding the dishes stacked up in one corner from their finished picnic. They had finished the food a while ago, now they're just here for the flowers.

There's something about the way Harry just slides in fluidly onto Louis' lap that makes his lungs constrict a bit. It's something about the complete trust Harry has in him, full faith as he looks up at him, all innocent and pure and everything good in the world. Louis just wants to shield Harry from it all.

"Let me braid your hair, Curly," Harry lets out a pleased noise at that, as he sits up and leans back a bit, giving Louis full access to his hair.

It's just so amazing, how much Harry trusts Louis. And yeah, it's only hair, and yes, they've done this before – Harry knows exactly how good Louis is with braiding hair, having been forced to learn it since he had five sisters – but the amount of confidence Harry always entrusts Louis with sometimes blows his mind. It's insane, sometimes, even though Louis knows he believes in Harry just as much, if not more.

Regardless, Louis finds himself falling into a soothing rhythm as he dutch braids Harry's hair, gently overlapping one hair strand over the next, and there's just something so comforting about braiding hair, something so intimate as he feels Harry's breath even, as he peers over and sees his eyelashes flutter close, as he ties off one braid, then the other with the hair ties Harry always has on his wrist for situations exactly like this.

Eventually, when he's finished, he stares at his masterpiece. Harry looks gorgeous, dainty, almost, despite him being bigger than Louis. Two braids hang off his head, slightly messy, just the way Harry likes it. There are little baby hairs sticking out, making Harry look even more adorable, and Harry hasn't even spun around yet to show Louis his face.

"It's all d- wait, close your eyes. Don't open them until I tell you to," Louis interrupts his own sentence, as a brilliant idea flashes through his mind. Instructing Harry to stay still, he gets up, stretching out his slightly sore muscles, as he starts heading into the flower field.