𝟒𝟗 | 𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩

One sentence.

That one sentence contained everything I needed to know.

And that meant Mercado could go to hell.

„You should never have compared me to my father," I said coldly. „DNA doesn't make a family. Just like bad deeds don't make bad people of us." I ran my hands through my hair and touched the metal hair clip. „Except for you. Because you are a twisted person and twisted people deserve to burn in hell."

As soon as I finished, I mercilessly swung my hands. Within a second, my hair clip turned into a knife, which I used to cut Mercado's throat. I'm done with him. Just like that. In a heartbeat. As cold-bloodily and easily as Lucifer ended up with Clark in our living room. And in that little moment, it felt like time had stopped. I remembered my first murder. I remembered how I literally blew my soul out of David Jensen. With bare hands. Like an animal. An animal that deserves to rot behind bars.

Then it was different. I'm not quite sure how I felt. I was disgusted by myself. Even after I washed, I felt so... dirty. But now... now no guilt or disgust flowed through my veins - it was the power. The power that told me it was time to stand on my own two feet. I have to prove to everyone around me that I'm not a little girl who needs a hero. I am my hero. Not my father. Not my mom. Otto. Leo. But me.

Maybe that's how it should be. Maybe I should have finally stopped running from my name. Running away from myself and who I was. Who I am. Maybe after all I had to choose the darkness that is associated with the surname O'Donnell. Why should I apologize for who I am? No one has ever apologized to me for raising me like this. They forced me to become Ria O'Donnell, who now wipes the blood of a man on his face as bitter as his deeds.

I got out of bed quickly and looked at Mercado's body for the last time in disgust. I took a lighter from the table and struck it. I suppressed the urge to throw it at him and watch him go up in flames with this damn place.

No, I told myself. You don't need to summon other angry men with guns.

In the end, I agreed with the wiser half of my brain and hid the lighter in my pocket. I took what belonged to me from the briefcase by the door and fled. Two Mercado's companions were already waiting for me right outside the door. When they noticed me, I got their attention. They measured me in disbelief.

„Calm down, guys, Mercado and I had a pretty good deal," I tried to make my way out. Although I accepted the new me, I still didn't want to shed more blood unnecessarily. I closed the door confidently behind me and faced one of the security guards. „May I pass?" I asked politely. I really wanted to look casual and inconspicuous, even though I was like a cat on hot bricks. I was restless.

„That deal...," the man began, looking at me through his glasses, „it was quick." Oh no! Should I have waited?

„Well, what can I say... the old guy doesn't have the stamina," I joked. I tried... too hard. And it was obvious. The bodyguard with whom I just had a conversation signaled a colleague to go check on the boss. Shit. „But perhaps," I began again, placing a hand on the man's chest, „Maybe you could try it, what do you say?" I glanced at him seductively. Why do I always try to get out of it by flirting when someone goes after my blood? „You know, for comparison," I chuckled stupidly.

The man grinned. Apparently, he was thinking about my offer. What a pig. He licked his lower lip and pulled me closer. He ran his hand on my back until he rested it on my ass. He squeezed it. I bit my tongue. Not yet, hold on... I was encouraging myself.

„Hmm," the man said, „it sounds really tempting."

Suddenly a voice came from the room.

„Kevin, she killed him! Hold her!"