𝟓𝟗 | 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬, 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐬

Never in my life have I ever thought that I would be that eager to roll over on a bed in an old, musty hotel. It was the first thing I did after we arrived at our temporary home.

„Ughh," I shouted softly. My scream was muffled by the pillow into which I buried my exhausted face.

„Aaah," Otto sighed extensively and fell down beside me. His heavy body deepened a mattress of poor quality, and it made me jump a little. I ignored everything, that was going on around me. All I had in front of me was a white pillowcase.

„Being a gangster is so tiring," my friend noted, yawning widely.

„Yeah, yeah, it truly is," Leo agreed, to which I raised my eyebrows surprisingly. „But you can't know what it is like, you would have to be a mobster first. And that will never happen," he added.

„What do you mean by that?" Otto exclaimed forcefully, sitting up quickly. He moved the whole bed again, including me. I whimpered bitterly. Otto ignored my irritated reaction. "I saved our asses. YOUR asses. Including yours," he stressed, while he didn't bother to hide his disgust.

„The newbie is right, Leo," Tom joined the conversation. I heard a kitchen chair screeching under his weight. "If it weren't for him, we would be six feet under. You did very well, Otto." His last sentence was addressed directly to him.

"Thanks, Tom," Otto said and I imagined how fulfilled he was. I bet he was thinking of all those jerks from school. If any of them saw how he handled a gun, they would either find it very cool or consider him a psychopath.

After a while, Tom reopened the conversation.

„Maybe, you could join us, what do you think?" he asked Otto.

I almost choked. Luckily, no one could see my reaction. With bulging eyes, big as two plates, I must have looked tragicomic.

„Like...w-working for the mafia?" Otto stuttered, a little unsettled.

„Well, yes, we would make a pretty great team."

I didn't know how to react. I had the strongest desire to jump out of the bed and slap Tom. Did he go nuts?! Giving Otto such mad ideas? The last thing I needed was Otto joining the group of criminals and murderers! Even though my entire core burnt, I decided to remain calm. I bit my tongue and waited silently for Otto's answer. I was truly interested in his response to this proposal.

„Well, I..." he began, but then became quiet. It felt like the air in the room thickened. I felt a few pairs of eyes looking at me.

„I don't know if she would like it," he replied hesitantly at last. „I couldn't do that to her."

Now everyone was looking at me.

Tom chuckled.

„Of course, Ria wouldn't like it," he said. „I've only known her for a few hours, but when I remembered how she reacted when I told her I needed your help...she turned pale." I had to laugh in my mind. I really almost crumbled. But I couldn't let anything happen to my best friend. „She must care a lot about you." I do.

„She does care," Leo read my thoughts. „Ria is willing to risk her life for the lives of her friends, isn't she?"

No one said a word, that's why I got the impression that the question was directed to me.

„Man, she won't respond, she's dead asleep," Otto argued. If the rolling of eyes could make any sound, I would certainly hear it at this point.

Leo laughed. He had such an attractive laugh. And an even more pleasing voice. When he spoke, it was like listening to a poet's recital.