Spring 1940

April 21st 1940
The Captain partially bumped into a wall as they rounded a corner on the first floor and murmured a string of curses.

"Who put that wall there?" He asked.
"Shhhhh," Havers snickered.
"Sorry," The Captain whispered. "Wait, why are we being quiet again?"
Havers stopped and frowned. "I don't know."

They looked at each other and immediately burst into laughter. Neither of them would say they were drunk. Not by any means. But their inhibitions were certainly lowered. Somehow everything seemed ten times funnier than it was.

"I have some port in my office." The Captain said. "Fancy a glass?
"
"You read my mind." Havers brushed his hand through a house plant as he passed it, rustling the leaves and smiling. "This has been a nice birthday, sir. Thank you for coming to join us."

"I'm glad I did. I had a good time." The Captain fiddled with the key to his office.
When they reached the familiar room, he slid it into the lock and turned it a little slower than he would've usually.

Why on earth did everything have to be so much harder when alcohol was involved?

The two stepped inside when he finally managed to get the door open, and Havers found the port and glasses that were left on the desk.
"When was the last time we had a drink together?"

"Weeks ago." The Captain dismissed, closing and locking the door behind him. "Maybe even months. I can't remember."

"I suppose there hasn't been enough time for a drink in the evening. Not with so much to do."

Havers said absently, pouring out two drinks. "Let's have a toast!" "To what?" The Captain asked.

Havers crossed the room and handed him a glass. "Hmm, you make one. You're good at toasts."
"It's your birthday. Shouldn't you make one?"

"Oh yeah! It's my birthday!" Havers laughed. "Um ... to making it to thirty-six! May I make it to thirty-seven."

The Captain grinned, tapping the rim of his glass to Havers'. They both drank deeply, only stopping when all was gone from their glasses
.
The Captain spluttered when he was finished, wincing at the taste in his mouth. It was very

reckless of him to allow such behaviour, but once or twice a year at birthdays and Christmas couldn't hurt, he supposed.

"Another one, Captain?" Havers asked.
"Go on, then."

~

By the time they'd finished their next drink, settled at their usual seats, the Captain could no longer prevent his longing.

"I don't think I've had this much fun in months." He admitted. "War isn't supposed to be fun, I know. But-"
"We learn to find joy in the little places." Havers finished. The Captain hummed in agreement.

"The past few months have been such a blur." He said. "I think New Year's Eve was the last time I remember enjoying myself."
He risked glancing at Havers and saw the other man gripping his glass tightly, staring into it as if it held all the world's secrets. "Are you quite alright?" Havers didn't respond. "William?"

"Don't." Havers' voice cracked
.
"Don't what? Call you William? You've not protested before. I've been calling you William for months." The Captain frowned. "Have I done something wrong?"

"No, Captain," Havers replied. "But I know what you're going to say."
"Enlighten me. If I'm entirely honest, even I have no idea what I was going to say."

Havers looked up at him finally. "You remember what happened on New Year's Eve, don't you?"

The Captain nodded. He opened his mouth to speak, but Havers stood before anything could come out.
"Where are you going?" He asked instead.